Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 300D no forward or reverse

tony1224 · 2020-04-01 06:10

Still having problems I can't get it to move or engage in gear . Finally I got both service manuals TM1496 and TM1497 but don't know where to start.Can someone help please even if it is just to guide me in the right direction. How can I test the forward and reverse solenoid I do heard clicking as I move from forward to neutral to reverse . how do I know if is working right? thank you in advance.

Replies23
  1. #1Vetech632020-04-01 06:58

    Post the serial number of your machine for the JD experts here. Start off by checking the fluid levels and replacing your filters.

  2. #2tony12242020-04-01 07:16

    New filters and fluids . I will get serial later when I get to the machine

  3. #3tony12242020-04-01 07:17

    Thanks for reply

  4. #4Vetech632020-04-01 07:24

    Some more questions you can answer to speed things up ....... Is there any indicator lights on when the engine is running or when you shift into gear? Any strange or unusual noises when shifting into gear? Any noticeable rpm change in the engine when you shift into gear? If you raise the wheels off the ground, will they roll forward and reverse when you select those ranges? Any recent work performed on the machine? Did you notice any metal flakes in the old oil or filter? Is the park brake releasing?

  5. #5tony12242020-04-01 08:02

    I will perform some of those test and I will post later

  6. #6mg23612020-04-02 05:28

    Did you check your clutch cutout circuit as mentioned in the other post you had on this machine?

  7. #7tony12242020-04-12 00:19

    Hi guy's and so sorry for the late reply but today was the first day that i could make it to where the backhoe was.this is what I did. I had the 4 wheel in the air and I test the loader on reverse and all 4 wheels move when I applied the brake bottom all the wheels will stop so I think the brake is working good . Now when I did the same test on forward gear the wheel will not move on hi or low RPM. I really need help on this at lease can someone point me in the right direction.

  8. #8mg23612020-04-12 05:18

    We need a serial number.

  9. #9tony12242020-04-12 19:15

    serial # T0300DF8084812 I did one test with for wheels in the air in forward I can move 1 wheel witch all 4 wheels will move back and forward freely .Another thing that I did was ignition on the on position engine off as you engage the forward the you can hear the forward/reverse solenoid hardly hear it click but very week.Thanks for trying to help

  10. #10mg23612020-04-13 05:03

    Serial number has too many numbers. So your machine works OK in reverse? Check to make sure you are getting 12 Volts to your forward solenoid and that the solenoid also has a good ground.

  11. #11tony12242020-04-13 05:13

    K I will post later the result

  12. #12TRADITIONAL2025-10-30 07:43

    I’m dealing with a similar issue on a 1998 jd 300D Backhoe serial to300d 784606 machine saw towed for transport and it will not move. All hydraulic functions are operating and it will lunge in forward and reverse. The first Ck was the parking brake ( sluggish but working) I can see the actuator pushing the rod back and forth. I tried backing off the spring loaded actuator and no change I even disconnected the linkage. Could it be that other elements are preventing the machine from moving? I’ve read about a “clutch cut out “or forward solenoid but the fact it lunges in forward and reverse says it’s trying to turn the transmission? Also the gear shifter seems as though it’s bound up I’m guessing the machine was dragged in gear and the shifter forks or something are jammed Or the parking brake assembly is bound up. I’m thinking to remove the drive shaft to prove the reverser is delivering power to the transmission. I have removed the tin under the driver’s seat containing the heater core and fan for access to the top of the transmission. If needed I’ll cut some of the floor away to remove the transmission top cover. Has anyone ever seen this before? I’m sure many machines have been dragged before? By the way the tow service claims that they drove it on the ramp truck which is probably not true, I’m convinced they just dragged it on in gear and caused this problem. But it needs to be fixed if anyone can help I would certainly appreciate it.

  13. #13Diesel Dave2025-10-30 08:24

    @TRADITIONAL , Does the engine load up when trying to move the machine compared to when the reverser control is in neutral ?

  14. #14TRADITIONAL2025-10-30 13:12

    Yes it’s definitely trying to move it lunges slightly forward and reverse I disconnect the driveshaft and the reverser spins both ways I disengaged the parking brake can and the linkage moves freely. The shifter will not engage or disengage. I think either the parking break assembly in the transmission or the transmission is jammed . I’m thinking of pulling the top cover off the transmission Next . Unless I’m missing something that locks the transmission unless it’s activated? This machine was pulled on a rollback I assume they dragged it in gear or with the parking brake on and jammed something? The transmission is full of oil and it looks clean so I really doubt it’s seized?

  15. #15Diesel Dave2025-10-30 13:51

    There have been issues with the 3rd or 4th gear bushing seizing to the transmission drive shaft and essentially transmission being in 2 gears at the same time . Put the rear tires in the air. Have someone rock the rear tires back and forth and see if you can get the gear shifter into neutral. With the shifter in neutral try moving the machine.

  16. #16TRADITIONAL2025-10-30 20:40

    Thanks Dave I think I might have a solution I spoke to a JD tech who says it was not uncommon for the parking brake assembly to fail internally in the transmission. I’m going to pull the transmission cover and see what happens. Either way it needs to come apart.before I do I’ll try the tire trick but it’s real tight I’m sure there’s something seriously wrong in the transmission But the good news is I think I can do it in frame rather than having to pull the transmission. I’ll let you know what I find. Thank for your input

  17. #17Diesel Dave2025-10-30 20:46

    I’m in agreement about pulling off the top cover but I think you will be frustrated very quickly attempting to do much with that transmission in frame.

  18. #18TRADITIONAL2025-10-30 21:11

    I’ll be happy if I can yank out the parking brake belt assembly apparently it can come out independently. Or it could be the transmission is just stuck and can be released. I’m definitely hoping I don’t have to drop the transmission but it’s really not too bad basically hanging from 4 bolts to the frame. At least the hydraulics are working so I can elevate the machine to get it out. But I’m optimistic, I’ll let you know how it goes.

  19. #19TRADITIONAL2025-10-31 18:56

    Update I had removed the driveshaft so I elevated the machine and found both tires rotate except they turn opposite directions. This at least proves it’s not brakes . I’m almost ready to remove the cover I’m being very careful to clean everything before I do. Because I’m working in the field I needed to get a battery 1/2” impact to get the last bolts out. I’m used to using air . I’ll pull it tomorrow and I’m sure the transmission is just locked up If it’s reasonable I’ll get it freed up to at least get it out of the field. Once at the shop I’ll decide if I need to pull it and rebuild or just put it back together. I hope it’s that simple

  20. #20Welder Dave2025-11-01 02:11

    The tires going opposite directions is normal for a differential. If it has a differential lock lever/pedal locks them together but makes steering difficult.

  21. #21TRADITIONAL2025-11-01 10:25

    Thanks Welder Dave I got it , the transmission was jammed the shifter was trying to engage two gears someone probably yanked really hard to accomplish that. Actually an easy fix I can’t believe this hasn’t happened before. If anyone has a transmission stuck try removing the shifter tower 3 bolts!!

  22. #22TRADITIONAL2025-11-01 10:50

    Diesel Dave I think you had it , it was stuck in two gears!! I took the shifter tower off and could see the selector blocks were in two gears. It easily moved and I was able to rotate the driveshaft. I put it back together and drove that machine right out!! I wish I knew beforehand to just pull 3 bolts and lift the shifter tower but hopefully I saved someone else. I think someone probably forced that shifter really hard to do it. I’ll be gentle. I just purchased this for a real good deal and it’s going to pay off.

  23. #23HarleyHappy2025-11-01 14:26

    Awesome