Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310A right rear wheel locked Up

RLSPROTHERO ยท 2023-08-16 18:20

Howdy, I have a JD 310A, was coming up a steep incline and needed to use my right steering break. Worked just fine. Then as I went up the hill further the rear right brake locked up. Not sure If it's in the case or in the break actuating valve. Was thinking about opening the bleeder valve on top of the axle housing. To see if there is built up pressure on the pressure plate. That would telle if it's a valve issue or pressure plate/disk issue . What do you think? It would seem that the problem is in my case. I cracked open the bleeder valve and there was no pent-up pressure. I pressed the brake peddle and oil came out. With that it seems the problem is in the rear end case. Does that sound logical?

Replies6
  1. #1hollisandmuwin#12023-08-17 10:04

    Maybe. Good place to start is check the base for broken pieces with a magnet. Go from there

  2. #2RLSPROTHERO2023-08-17 10:08

    I was drinking coffee with my friends. They said the same thing about the magnet. But I have to dump the oil any way. If there are pieces they would come out in the rush of oil.

  3. #3RLSPROTHERO2023-08-19 13:43

    There was a video on YouTube of a guy repairing the right axle on a JD 510. There would be some differences but the idea is the same. My Tec Manual is pretty detailed on the extraction. I'm in the market now for a portable engine cherry picker crain. It seems ideally suited for the removal/install of the axle assembly.

  4. #4RLSPROTHERO2023-08-19 13:53

    Now that I've delved into the manual and a few video I see the outer portion of the axle seems to be sealed off by a gasket and a O ring that fits around the final drive shaft.

  5. #5T-town2023-08-19 17:48

    I had to pull my axle(s) housings... due to "lock up" caused by some big time parts failing. On my 310b..... step one in housing removal was " remove the hoe from the machine"..... well that wasn't about to happen due to 'frozen pins'.... Turns out, the only thing preventing the removal of the housing was a 'forward leaning' brace at about a 35 deg angle. We tried every way we could to get that housing out from the machine. Space is a bit tight for the size of the piece. Ended up cutting the brace ( a 1 x 3 bar) and upon install.... we had a pro weld it back up. I had another set of hands to maneuver the housing... heavy, but a lift/hoist was not needed.

  6. #6RLSPROTHERO2023-08-21 11:35

    I don't see the removal of the hoe would be necessary. They give a fairly good rundown on the process in the Tec Manual. I'm 72 and it's just me, so the lift will work as those extra pair of hands. I'll find out what failed when I get in there. Thanks for the information. I used to have a neighbor who worked on a lot of heavy equipment. But he has pass away. Was sure great to pick his brain. Was like having a pair of eyes before you got into something.