Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310c Cold oil

davidd ยท 2009-12-16 10:30

Greetings all, Now that the weather has turned cold ,40 degrees, my 310c is slow to turn over while cranking. The present oil is 40W. Not multi viscosity. And the hyd oil is 32w. Even jump starting does not speed up the cranking speed. At the slow cranking speed , ether does start the engine. Above 50 degrees or so it spins over like a top and starts easily. Will changing engine oil to a multi of 15w-40 cure the slow cranks? Thanks, David d.

Replies28
  1. #1kosracing2009-12-16 13:00

    hey david in canada -30 this week, i use essoextra (moblie 1) 0-40 full syn. in the engines on all my diesels (truck and tractors) i also use a 10 weight univis hyd. oil. my truck has never being plugged in and never had a problem.I was concerned about using such a light viscocity oil but after a few oil samples came back good im sold on it. i have a great video showing you how your engine is slowly being killed every time you do a cold start with the wrong viscosity oil. when i have time will post on youtube its worth the veiw. thanks gary

  2. #2Tinkerer2009-12-16 22:54

    davidd, A lighter weight oil will help. Some other factors come into play such as the condition of the batteries, starter, battery cables and connections. For cold weather I have a 110 volt block heater in mine. It replaces a freeze plug and it works really well , although it is really slow to heat up an engine that is already cold in below freezing weather. The best engine heater I have ever used is a 110 volt tank type that is connected to the engine with 5/8 inch heater hoses. The way the hoses are connected though is extremely critical or the tank type can be nearly useless. The tank type typically uses 1500 Watts. To conserve electricity , the tank style heater can be plugged into an appliance timer . I used to have mine turn on at 3:30AM. The freeze plug style only uses about 400 watts. I plug it in all night.

  3. #3bill onthehill2009-12-17 05:05

    Check to see if your main hyd. pump bypass is working. It is usually a solenoid style on top of the pump. It relieves pressure while the starter is engaged. Some of the older ones were a manual T handle that you turned in to start and then released after running.

  4. #4kosracing2009-12-17 11:43

    one thing i have found with tank heaters that is a problem is they tend to cook the oil. the ones i have seen attached to hyd. tanks actually have burnt oil or coking of the oil around and on the heater. there was a time when we use to heat the engine with a bbq which we would put under the engine. but with the right viscosity those days are gone. I have also found a engine with HEUI injection wont fire with the wrong viscosity oil in winter conditions.

  5. #5davidd2009-12-17 19:32

    Thanks all, I will change out the 40W oil first and see how it goes then.

  6. #6Mapleleaftrucks2009-12-18 12:54

    Have the same problem with my 310c, In the summer i run 15w40 and in the winter 0w30 makes a big difference.

  7. #7Phil2009-12-19 15:00

    If you live in Georgia, I think Ga stands for that, a 15-40 diesel oil should be okay. I find many are using it year round in the warmer climates, even in the southern most part of Ontario, where we get the moderating effects of the Great Lakes. Most don't want to change an engine oil twice a year, on seldom used equipment, so a multi-grade oil is the only way to go. The colder weather always seems to bring out the problems not noticed during the summer. Personally I use #30 diesel oil in everything here but when it gets below freezing I make sure I change it, or run #10-30 year round. Phil

  8. #8willie592009-12-19 18:30

    Hi davidd. I agree with Phil. Most folks around here use 15W/40, I have never had any cold start problems with it. I used to service several contractors machines; 310C, 310D, various 580's, 416 Cat, cranes, telehandlers, a lot of different engines that were not plugged in at night. It had to get really cold to have cranking problems, which doesn't happen all that often around here. Even when it did get cold enough that they had cranking problems, lol, they had problems getting just about anything working on those mornings. :tong

  9. #9taggmann2009-12-23 02:15

    Hi kosracing; You mention burning the oil with a tank type heater. I have used them as a coolant heater, you even get instant cab heat, but I didn't know you could use them on oil? Another question, where can i get or how can I rig a heater for a air cooled deutz? Thanks

  10. #10Tinkerer2009-12-24 08:51

    taggman, Three ways come to my mind. First a you could maybe replace the engine oil dipstick with one that has a 110 volt element in it. If that isn't possible fabricate the oil pan so that you could install a electric water heater element in it. Although you would have to use a timer on it because it would get the oil awful hot. You could also put a propane heater or an electric hot plate under the oil pan BUT there is a fire hazard doing that.

  11. #11taggmann2009-12-24 11:01

    Hi Tinkerer and thanks for the reply; seems like kind of a tough nut to crack. I think they make an dipstick heater , wonder if they work? Water heater elements get real hot, I'm afraid it might boil where it contacts the element. maybe a low wattage one but then how would you control it. Does someone make a magnetic oil pan heater? I vaguely remember hearing of one a long time ago.

  12. #12taggmann2009-12-24 11:06

    Just googled and found this /www.padheaters.com/applications.html flexable pad oil pan heater in 12 or 24 or 110 volt. does anybody know if it works ?

  13. #13bill onthehill2009-12-24 15:55

    I have 110 volt magnetic one. They work ok. I bought it mail order out of an outfit in California. I will see if I can find the info out in my shop. I use it on an old Jap tractor to warm it up in cold weather. My Deutz in my Gehl skid steer has a heater from the factory. I can't tell you how it is hooked into the block as all I do is plug it in.

  14. #14Hardline2009-12-24 18:22

    Yup here in North Texas we use 15/40 year round. The winters usually do not get cold enough around here to "have to" plug everything in so we are not really set up for it. We have little to no problems starting in the coldest temps usually around the 20s. JJ

  15. #15taggmann2009-12-25 11:23

    little more googlin'. found this cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370096842495&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=db3e27df1240a06c2181aaa1ffbc5786&rvr_id=&ua=WXF%3F&itemid=370096842495 I would have to get the 250w one I think if it was on for 2 hours it would probably kill my batt. ? not sure? thinking 12 volt cause machine isn't near a outlet. Merry Christmas

  16. #16bill onthehill2009-12-25 21:47

    I would stay away from the 12 volt one as you need all the juice that battery can deliver for glow plugs and cranking it over in cold weather. I made a note to go look for the info on mine tomorrow after the ice melts a little. You can run them on a 100 ft. cord if it is a good one.

  17. #17bill onthehill2009-12-26 17:07

    The one I have is a Kats heater #1153. It is 110 volt and 200 watts. it is made by five star mfg. springfield, Tenn. there phone # on the unit is 888-872-7278.

  18. #18taggmann2009-12-27 08:35

    Hi Bill; At 200w how long does it take to be effective? hour or two or overnight? Thanks

  19. #19willie592009-12-27 10:31

    Good one bill, I put their website in My Faves. I have a guy in Alberta who is interested in a JLG 110HX that we have. He wants some kind of engine heater and it has the Deutz air cooled engine. I'm looking at one of those silicone pad heaters on the oil pan, just wondering what wattage one should use. Thanks for the Kats heater tip. Here's a link to their website. http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com/Kat_s

  20. #20kosracing2009-12-27 12:57

    I think deutz offered a oil heater that screwed into oil sump im trying to find all my old jlg stuff for a part number. Cat also offers a cold weather kit hydraulic tank heaters and engine heaters. the best way to go if you want a heater is wabsco or pro heat they are like the old vw heater motor run off of diesel they will circulate and heat coolant also come with cab heaters. Not sure if you could use with oil? Tryed to post my oil video on youtube, was too big, does anyone know were i could post so everyone can view? well worth the 10mins out of your life

  21. #21taggmann2009-12-27 15:46

    Maybe you could break your video into 2 parts?

  22. #22kosracing2009-12-27 19:28

    dumb question .. how would i do that??

  23. #23taggmann2009-12-27 21:52

    Check this site for online video editing; http://desktopvideo.about.com/od/editingsoftware/a/freevidedit.htm or Pixorial, a video editing site.

  24. #24kosracing2009-12-28 12:45

    oil videos posted on youtube thanks tagmann :drinkup the following links are for the 2 lube videos on youtube YouTube - esso oil cold war part 1 :notworthy YouTube - esso oil cold war part2 the first one is the best gets to the meat and potatos of oil..

  25. #25chuck jacobs2009-12-28 16:14

    how cold is -35 celcius when converted to farenheight. thanks jake

  26. #26bill onthehill2009-12-28 17:57

    I usually put it on the night before I want to use it. It is not real hot but I did not want to cook the oil. They have bigger ones if you need faster heat. I know one fellow in Pa. who has the pad heaters on his Kubota for oilpan and tranny. I figure if it is that cold I am not going outside unless it has a cab and heater like my 580K. The old bones have a built in common sense reminder now!

  27. #27Bob_S2009-12-28 17:57

    -35c = -31f http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm

  28. #28taggmann2009-12-28 22:49

    Yeah , I don't think the 12v model will be practical. Unless I would rig an aux batt. That sump demo on the video was a real eye opener! Of course here in sunny northeast pa. we don't see -35. Thank goodness!