Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310D backhoe wont start after stop light blinking

Billy B ยท 2014-09-07 19:06

Hello, I am new to the forum and having an issue with my early 90's model JD 310D backhoe loader. I have exhausted my search for a field tech in my area so I thought the forum might be able to help. I was using the backhoe digging up a few stumps and when finished, I attempted to move the tractor forward and it wouldn't move. It wouldn't go in reverse either. I noticed the STOP blinking light was flashing so I immediately turned off the tractor and checked all the fluid levels. Everything looked good, so I attempted to start the tractor again and nothing, wouldn't start. I checked the brake switch, checked for any fluid leaks below and still can't seem to figure out exactly what has happened. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Replies9
  1. #1Deon2014-09-07 21:13

    Billy B, is it possible that your alternator has failed and your battery is dead. Does the starter crank or is everything dead?

  2. #2Billy B2014-09-07 22:53

    Thanks for your response... I'm reasonably sure that the battery and starter are okay. Console lights up and lights are strong. Is there any reason to believe that the STOP warning light would be activated if I had a starter issue? I guess due to the fact that it wouldn't go into forward or reverse before I turned the engine off, I didn't really consider the starter until it wouldn't start back up. Mostly, just considered the worst when I saw the stop light blinking. If the starter did go out, what would be the cause of the tractor not going into gear?

  3. #3mitch5042014-09-07 23:35

    He was suggesting a bad alternator, not a bad starter. The alternator going out would cause it not to go into gear due to low voltage to the transmission controls.

  4. #4Billy B2014-09-08 00:37

    I apologize, I had starter on my brain but meant alternator. That answers my question concerning the transmission issue, thanks. Do you think a defective alternator would cause the STOP light to flash? Or possible I'm dealing with more than one problem?

  5. #5Deon2014-09-08 06:17

    Yes, mitch504 has it right. I don't know if a low battery will cause the Stop light flashing but will definitely not be able to activate the shifting solenoids. I would try the easy things first. Test your battery voltage. Should read at least 12.2 volts at the battery post with everything turned off. You can also jump start it and then remove the jumper cables and test voltage with engine running. Should read 14 or more volts. You can also try shifting it while still on the jumper battery. Those test are cheap and easy and will rule out a few questions.

  6. #6Billy B2014-09-08 08:20

    Thanks for your help, guys. It will be a few days before I can get back out to the tractor and test the battery but will let you know what I find. Thanks again for all your help.

  7. #7cutting edge2014-09-08 08:26

    Your FNR (shifter) has failed. one or both of the switches for direction is stuck closed

  8. #8Billy B2014-09-08 22:38

    A shifter failure makes a lot of since it controls direction as well as starting. Is this type of failure one that would activate the blinking STOP light, as well?

  9. #9Billy B2014-09-17 08:28

    Update: Finally found a field tech to come out to check the backhoe. He found a bad solenoid in the console which was blowing a fuse. Parts replaced and she's up and running again.