Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310D boom cylinder question

Boomhand850 ยท 2016-06-15 19:18

Gentlemen of heavy equipment forums I recently rebuilt the boom cylinder on my JD310D and I would like to express my gratitude for the help this forum provided. Now for my next problem, I did not rebuild the piston end, just the gland seals and when I put the cylinder back together and used the machine, great news no leaks, however before the repack there was a cushion at the end of the stroke now when I raise the stick all the way up no cushion just kawhammy what have I done wrong ?

Replies4
  1. #1lantraxco2016-06-15 20:11

    From the parts picture it appears there's some sort of cushion arrangement on the back end of the piston, it's likely that you either left something out, or put something back together in the wrong order or backwards. No sweat, we've all done it, or lied about it, lol. I actually managed to put the piston on backwards on a CAT cylinder one time. If the picture is big enough to see, it's 7,8,9,10...

  2. #2Deon2016-06-16 09:13

    Boomhand, I agree with Landtraxco. The cusion is created only by the shape and the way the seals fit onto the piston. So you have something misplaced there. You'll just get a little more practice working on those light weight cylinders. Lol

  3. #3Boomhand8502016-06-16 15:19

    Thanks Deon & Lantraxco the piston seals and rings on the piston rod were in great shape so I set the piston aside and just rebuilt the gland or bladder,I agree something is not installed correctly. I don't see where it would have a bearing on this deal but I marked the position of the lock nut before removing it and when I reassembled the rod I had A big friend on the end of the 10 ft cheater pipe and we went about a 1/4 turn past the mark.

  4. #4Deon2016-06-16 20:27

    Look through the photos in this link. Maybe you'll see something that will help you sort it out. https://www.google.ca/search?q=hydr...ydraulic+piston+cushion&imgrc=JTDcDSFkk_ZKrM: