Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310D No start

Tacks · 2023-10-03 20:36

Cranks but no fuel. Manual says tap on injection pump possible stuck metering valve. So last week I monkey with and up tapping and it fires up. This week so far no go. Has any one heard of this? Is this a pump remove and repair job? I run the primer hand pump and get good fuel at the filter breather so thinking filter is good. Other ideas? Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1Delmer2023-10-03 21:19

    Sounds right to me. You can tap, make sure the solenoid is clicking when you turn the ignition on, remove the nut and touch the wire to the stud repeatedly to get the clicks. If you get it started, leave it running, turn it off at medium idle and back on before it slows much, run a couple gallons of biodiesel with 10% acetone through to loosen it up, then clean new fuel to get rid of the bio before it turns to gunk AGAIN! How long had it sat before last week? and how old is the fuel? What percentage of bio do you have there?

  2. #2thepumpguysc2023-10-04 03:35

    Please don’t use a hammer.. The handle of a screwdriver will usually work.. I know a guy in SC that’ll fix u right up..

  3. #3Tacks2023-10-04 08:14

    I have tried tapping but no luck starting this time. It may set for a few weeks at a time, and does get run much. I am sure older fuel, thinking 10% Bio but not sure. This is the only piece I have had a problem with. Where is the valve that sticks? Near where the fuel goes in? Pump guy, hoping not to have to remove and ship. Will see.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2023-10-04 08:48

    I’d tell ya to take the cover off but they probably have tamper screws in it.. 5 sided torx

  5. #5Tacks2023-10-04 08:52

    The top rectangle shaped cover?

  6. #6thepumpguysc2023-10-04 10:09

    Is your pump a RoosaMaster/Stanadyne OR aCAV/DELPHI.?? Does the top cover have 3 screws in a triangle pattern OR 2 acorn nuts in the center of the cover.??

  7. #7mg23612023-10-04 12:05

    310D's have a Stanadyne DB4.

  8. #8Delmer2023-10-04 12:09

    I took a cover off and freed one up with brake cleaner (flammable stuff so mostly acetone), but I can't remember how. Didn't have internet in those days so I did it without instructions, couldn't have been that hard.

  9. #9Tacks2023-10-04 16:13

    Yes, Stanadyne. It has a top cover with return line on it. Also a small triangle cove on side with 2 screws.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2023-10-04 17:07

    Google “Stanadyne metering valve”.. it’ll give u a clue what ur looking for.. If u can get the cover off, flick the mv with your finger.. it should move very freely.. Be careful, those screws WILL SNAP OFF..

  11. #11Tacks2023-10-06 20:26

    Got it opened up, seems fine but it back together and starts???? Maybe was stuck? Thanks for all the help/input.