Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jd 310D rear axle bolt & bleed brakes

Southbus ยท 2020-08-12 20:39

I have a 1991 310d John Deere backhoe, I have changed bearings and seals on both sides and now I am trying to assemble. I need to know the amount of tightening of the center bolt holding the axle on each side. I also need to know how to bleed the brakes, after all the replacement of bearings and seals, I have seen that all the oil that had the caverns behind the discs has been lost. And my last question is how I can regulate the brakes with those three bolts with a parker head that each axle box has. I send you a hug from Chile, South America, far to the south of the world. I am a fan of this true machine and I hope you can help me with these doubts. Pardon my bad English and I hope you stay safe. Cesar

Replies3
  1. #1mg23612020-08-13 05:55

    The axle torque is 180 + 60 - 0 lbft (244 = 81 - 0 N'm). With that being said it is not just torque and go. You need to figure out your rolling torque and that is all adjusted with the shim pack that sits under the planetary washer and bolt. You need to determine your rolling torque with the bearings not pre-loaded then the rolling torque spec is 120 - 156 lbin (13.5 - 17.6 N'm) above that figure. You should acquire the repair manual TM1497. That has all the repair information. TM1496 would be the Operation and Test manual which is for troubleshooting. The screws for the brakes in the axle housing are tightened until snug, then back them off 120 degrees. Brake bleeding is easy. Just raise the front of the machine with the loader bucket, leave the engine idling, turn your steering wheel to the stop and hold, then slowly pump the brakes until the pedal is firm.

  2. #2Southbus2020-08-13 09:06

    @mg2361 Thank you, your explanation is very didactic and now everything makes sense to me, I need the TM1496 manual and I would really appreciate if you have any link to maybe some image of the page that I need to add the shims so that the bearings are not tight.

  3. #3mg23612020-08-14 04:37

    For axle assembly you would need the TM1497 Repair manual.