Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310d reverser removal and park brake issues

Eric Forstrom ยท 2023-06-15 23:38

Hey All, I just finished replacing the rear main seal on my basket case JD 310d. I also replaced the reverser input shaft/torque converter seal. Also changed a couple hoses to the cooler, the main hose from the hydraulic pump to the loader valve, and cleaned everything up. There were also a few miscellaneous leaks on the reverser that were repaired. I just got it all back together this afternoon and filled up all the oils to test it out. Just a side note, the machine is still blocked up 2 feet in the air and I have not put the drivelines back in. Started it a few times just for a couple of seconds to let the oil get moving. Checked and re-filled oils, then started it up and let it run about a minute. Checked oils again and started it up to warm up. Hit the switch to release the park brake and the park brake does not release??? Here are a couple of notes; everything worked correctly before I pulled the reverser, torque converter, and TC housing. I made sure the torque converter was seated correctly on the reverser and the tangs were aligned. I did not drop or abuse the reverser or the torque converter. One thing I did notice when I had the reverser on my bench was that the reverser splined oil pump shaft did not rotate like the splined input shaft (didn't think it was an issue since it came out of the machine that way). So after a little research, I assume that I am not getting the high pressure oil from the reverser to the park brake solenoid valve. Which would also lead me to believe that I am not getting high pressure oil anywhere in the reverser? So what do I do to fix my mess??? I really hope you all don't tell me to pull everything out again, cause that is not fun working outside in the dirt. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Eric

Replies4
  1. #1mg23612023-06-16 04:54

    Does the output shaft of the reverser spin and change directions from forward to reverse? Was the oil level in the reverser checked with the engine idling? If you are referring to the shaft pictured below, that shaft does not turn. That shaft is for the stator splines within the torque converter.

  2. #2Eric Forstrom2023-06-16 11:23

    Thank you for the response, yes, the oil level was checked with it the machine idling, and I did not checked to see if the output shaft was turning in forward and reverse ( I'll do that this morning). I was referring to the stator splined shaft that did not rotate.

  3. #3Eric Forstrom2023-06-16 21:43

    Update: the reverser output shaft did turn both in forward and reverse but the oil was a little low so I topped it off, the park brake would still not release. Then I tapped on the park brake solenoid and jiggled the wiring, something clicked and foamy oil shot out the reverser dipstick tube??? Lo and behold, the park brake released. When I re-set the park brake it would not release, so off came the solenoid and found some exposed wiring. Fixed it all up and everything seems good now. Thank God, this is not a job I want to re-do anytime soon. Thanks mg2361 for the help.

  4. #4mg23612023-06-17 06:00

    You are welcome. Glad to hear that it is fixed.