First post here, so thanks in advance. I just picked up a JD 310D hoe and I pulled the steering cylinder apart today to put a new seal kit in it. I tried going through my local JD dealer before ordering online but they where stumped so I ordered the kit from EPS out of Atlanta along with a couple other seal kits since I had to have an order over $80 to proceed I figured I would surely need to rebuilt other seals somewhere. My machine is a 95 model and has serial number: TO310DA813849. The kit I ordered is supposed to be for that serial number but I've definitely got the wrong kit. Anyone have a JD seal guru I can order a kit from. Thanks Dave
I ran into the same thing on a deere backhoe steering cylinder. The Hercules catalog listed three or four options described like "welded eye", "dark glasses", "kinda funny looking", etc. I took the cylinder apart and matched it up with the numbers on JPparts.com. It was obvious from the internal cylinder parts.
Is it two or four wheel drive?
Thanks Delmer I'll check out the JPparts.com site and see if I can match mine up to. Chisumtrail, its 2wd. Dave
I come up with AH167552 and RE21875 for the bore and rod seal kits respectively after a 20 second internet search on JDPC. ....must have some real mouthbreathers for partsmen down there.
I just found those on the JDparts.com link too. I ordered RE18749 from EPM last week because that's what their documents said to order. The JDParts.com site shows a couple of replacement cylinders and mine looks like the one showing seal kits AH167552 and RE21875. But I would not have known this without taking mine apart. cutting edge how did you know it was that cylinder? Dave
Because those are the seal kits for the steering cylinder that corresponds to the serial number you gave.
Picked up the correct seals yesterday and put it back together... almost. That orange chamfered ring is tricky. I finally get the cap to slide out as far as I think it should, but the snap ring is 1/16" away from dropping into the groove. I hooked the lines up and figured I would try steering hard over and see if the pressure would squeeze if out that much so I could get the clip to seat. I was doing all this in the dark last night so I'll know more tomorrow. Dave
the orange filler ring is only for disassembly FYI.
This is correct ... If you doubt CT's internet advice
Well that sure would have been easier. It was in there when I took it apart so I figured I would put it back in. The rest of the seals in the gland where pretty much deteriorated when I took it apart and having it apart for a week before the new correct seals came in lead to a little guess work on my part. There wasn't the first o-ring on the od of the gland when I took it apart other than the fiborous packing material in the one groove around the OD. Should there be an o-ring that seats up against the snap ring? I wouldn't think it would seal very good there but there's a chamfer cut into the od of the gland that almost looks like it wants to have some sort of seal against it. Dave
Just to be just we're speaking of the same thing ... The orange filler ring has a teardrop shaped cross section. It fills the groove so the seals can cross the groove. Pic of it being used. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...DEF8FFB53FC351B37EC9B89FCFC975E&FORM=IQFRBA#a
yup that's it, I didn't see any real seeling value to it but figured I would put it back in. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything but I haven't really used it much so I'll have to monitor leaks.
I would reconsider... Since it's filling the retaining groove, there isn't anything keeping the rod gland from shooting out of the cylinder. Then you'll lose all steering .... You did replace the round wire retaining ring... right?
They're usually sitting in there loose when you pull a cylinder apart, so it's there when you need it. You definitely don't want it in the groove that the wire ring goes in.
The wire retaining ring is in there and seated properly. I put the orange filler ring on the gland side of the retaining ring. Obviously the groove is tapered just like the orange ring and with the wire retaining ring is filling the deepest part of the tapered groove. The hoe is still on my trailer and I tested the steering and all seems fine, but I'll break the hoses loose and shove the gland in so I can remove the orange ring. I will say you all have been great. This is a great forum with tons of experience and knowledge, and you're all polite and helpful too...many thanks. I'll probably start a general thread about this machine since I'm trying to get her as close to new condition as possible, I don't want to clog up the boards with various post on my rookie questions. Thanks again Dave