Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jd 310e cranks, won’t start

Pipevine ยท 2020-08-25 10:14

I've got a John Deere 310e with 4045 engine. I've never had any problems with the engine. It has fresh fuel filter and other fluid levels are good. The other day while using it it just died. Now it will crank but will not start. It will run on ether. And I confirmed that fuel is getting all the way to the injection pump. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Replies8
  1. #1JL Sargent2020-08-25 10:48

    There is a fuel shutoff solenoid on the injector pump. Make sure it is working properly. A cut or damage to the wire that feeds this solenoid will cause it to NOT open. This would cause your problem.

  2. #2Pipevine2020-08-25 11:02

    I don't know for certain that the solenoid is working properly but I do know it's getting power. 12v to the solenoid. I've read conflicting stories, some say the solenoid is replaceable by removing top cover of injection pump. Others say whole pump must be rebuilt. So????

  3. #3JL Sargent2020-08-25 11:24

    On my 310E, I had 12v volts at the solenoid. The electrical connections were good enough to move my multimeter, but it didn't have a good enough connection to actually work the solenoid. I've seen this a few times on other diesel engines as well. I found a bad connection about a foot away from the solenoid on mine. I reworked that connection and it has started every time since.

  4. #4Delmer2020-08-25 13:38

    turn the key on, then go disconnect that wire at the solenoid, it should click every time you touch the wire to the terminal and remove it. If there's no click, check the ohms of the solenoid, it should be somewhere in the middle of nothing and infinity . If you get the click, then it's time to see if the injection pump is turning, either open the timing window, or better yet, look at the fuel intake to see if it sucks the fuel in when it cranks (remove the fuel supply line, and fill it with diesel, then watch while it cranks).

  5. #5Pipevine2020-08-26 02:24

    Ran a hot wire directly to the solenoid. It clicks, still no start. I guess I'll check for suction on the fuel supply next. Is the inj pump on a keyed shaft? As in, could it be a sheared key?

  6. #6Pipevine2020-09-01 13:48

    Remove the supply line at the tank or after the lift pump? Also, am I correct in my understanding that if a sensor or something electronic was keeping it from firing, it would do so by not opening the shutdown solenoid right? Therefore, it has to me a mechanical problem with fuel delivery. Right?

  7. #7Delmer2020-09-01 14:00

    Remove the fuel line at the inlet to the injection pump, fill that fitting with diesel and crank the engine, the diesel level should go down. If it doesn't, then the pump isn't turning. You can check the timing window on the side held on with two small screws, but the pump shaft can break between that window and the end. yes, If the injection pump only has one wire, then that's all that is needed for it to run, and it is a fuel delivery problem.

  8. #8JL Sargent2020-09-01 14:04

    A 310E doesn't have a computer so it doesn't work quite like that. The fuel cutoff solenoid on the fuel pump provides a way to turn off the engine with the ignition switch. You could try cracking one of the injector lines at the injector to see if you are getting fuel to those when cranking.