I've put about 100 hrs on my backhoe since I went through the transmission. All has been well during this time. Lately though, I've noticed when in MFWD that the backhoe will make a knock like sound when changing direction under load. It does not do this in 2wd mode however. Laying under the machine I can, by hand, rotate some slack in the sliding yoke on the spline of the output shaft in front of the transmission. Could it be that the yoke is simply worn out and replacing that will tighten it back up? I inspected the spline and general appearance looked good. Nothing noticeable as far as wear goes. If I'm looking at it right, the yoke part # is AT179596. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/81215/referrer/search/pgId/561182 I'm worried that if the slack gets too bad, it could break something. Any help appreciated.
Those yokes do like to wear out. That yoke should be fairly snug on the splines with very little to no play in the splines. As far as your knock sound, I sent you a PM.
OK, and I have plenty of side to side play in the yoke too. I can keep the clunk from happening if I'm mindful of it, but a new yoke is in my future it seems. Thanks!