I haven't encountered this issue before. Got a flat on one of the rear tires. Tried to take it off with my impact wrench and they don't move. The manual says they are supposed to be torqued to 364 ft*lb. How do I get them off?
Lots of elbow grease, and if that still doesn't work, cheater pipe.
All I do is put a plug in them, have never taken one off for a flat yet.
I ended up getting a 4 foot pipe and a 12" extension. Braced it with some wood. Got it off, but it scared me. I'm going to try to find a service to put it back on. My little torque wrench only goes up to 100 ft*lb and the manual calls for something in the 300s.
If it needs removed from the rim, many tire services prefer it to be mounted to the tractor. It holds it steady like a tire machine at a garage while doing the work. No tire machines for tires of that size. A neighbor took his off the farm tractor to the shop, they told him to go put it back on the machine and they would be out. I have one on the 580 with a bead leak, I plan on doing it myself. Have done some before. The hard part is breaking it off the bead.
Hmm..that's interesting. The local guys acted like this was completely normal - dropping off the tire and rim.
For lug nuts / bolts that're too stubborn... A bit of penetrating oil on the threads from behind and a bit under the head seems to help convince it to move (that's a six foot cheater pipe on a 3/4 drive and it was all I could handle)
Harbor Freight electric impact gun, if you don't have an air impact. I have a cheap Harbor Freight electric one that I used to remove a rear wheel from my backhoe today. It took it a while on each lug nut, but it eventually got the job done.
No, no, no...I was just referred to this tool and it works like a marvel! Even a child could loosen them with one hand. Try it as I did this weekend and was able to loosen all 10 nuts on my 310SJ in about 5 minutes. After waiting on a mobile tire repair technician that balked twice, I just took it off and went to the repair shop. They charged me $40 for a simple patch but I tipped fairly the two guys as it is a bear to get the tire off the beads.
Hopefully next time you use this tool!
Cost? Have been looking for one for hydraulic cylinders and such for a while. So just spent 5 minutes on my Harbor Freight site and can find it anywhere.
Wow, evidently my Harbor Freight can’t even get it. lol
Hello Harley Happy, The cost is ridiculously low for the usefulness. I paid $145+ tax locally in Puerto Rico because I was in a hurry. I have seen them between $60-$80 online. Please note this is specifically for lug nuts as it need the reaction leg to rest against something. It may be adapted for other uses but you would have to improvise. I am still in shock on how easily I loosened those 10 lug nuts without any effort. I would say it is well worth it because it comes with about 4-5 heavy duty impact sockets in 1" drive. That alone is well worth the $145.
Here is a link to one. They are on ebay and amazon too. I have herd mixed reviews. Some have said the tool breaks under high torque. Works like a charm for others. Pardon Our Interruption
Hello Swetz, thanks for your input. You may be right. I have just used it once and worked okay. So cannot swear by it Most surely has to do with workmanship/materials used? At least, in principle, the concept of planetary gears for mechanical advantage is sound.
I was able to find a similar one on Amazon and EBay, I was just surprised that I can’t even order it at the HF I use. Looks like a good unit and because of its limitations, I may not need it. My HF Earthquake Supreme Master 1/2 impact seems to have pretty good torque. I have been on the hunt for a used torque multiplier for under 1k. No luck so far.
If you can get one for a good price it's nice to have since it doesn't need any outside power. This could be useful on the road away from the shop. It's completely manual and if it includes some extra sockets the better. No dragging air hoses and compressing air which wastes a lot of energy. Again, I don't get any commissions on getting these sold but just wanted to point out my experience with those 1 1/4" lug nuts on the 310SJ.
Wonder if they might have Nord Lock washers? That's what I used with the wheel adaptors I made for the grader. Apparently they can make getting the bolts lose quite difficult.
If you're up in the price range search, there are new units available from McMaster in the 3x and 4x torque range, up to 2000 #/ft output... No idea what brand, but I've never received garbage from them for wrenches and such. Most times it was Proto, Armstrong, and even some Snap-On.
I have stuff coming in from McMaster Carr today. That place is like crack cocaine to the the ex preses son but the shipping charges suck. It is nice the ship right away and all but I just ordered press in bushings for the carrier plate on the Scat Trak on the pump mount and they weigh next to nothing but shipping was more than the cost of the bushings.