Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 320D Block Heater or other solution

Willsy ยท 2022-01-19 21:55

I have a JD 320D Skid steer, that was fine in Texas, but is a bear to start in Colorado in the cold (below freezing). I have searched for a block heater, but can't find one that fits. Anyone attached a block heater to their 320D, or have a better solution? Cheers, Ian

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2022-01-19 22:59

    Try searching by the engine model number. A block heater is the best solution. Are you using #1 fuel? synthetic oil? is it cranking fast enough? you can bring a battery inside and warm it up overnight, makes a huge difference in starting sometimes. other options are a tank style "circulating" heater plumbed into heater hoses, or a lower radiator hose heater, or magnetic, or glue on oil pan heaters. or a torpedo heater aimed at the engine.

  2. #2Willsy2022-01-19 23:31

    Thank you so much. I'll grab engine model tomorrow and search for that. Haven't even heard of #1 fuel until now. Battery inside, thats a great idea. I haven't changed anything since Texas, so oil is probably what was suited for way higher Texas temps, synthetic is probably the way to go. I can start it if I run the starter for a while (30 seconds plus, multiple attempts after letting glow plugs warm for time according to instrument panel), after that battery (which was new this summer) can't handle it and I have to jump it off the truck. Not sure if is related but I also get an air intake restricted or something like that warning, but air filters are new and as far as I am aware there is no blockage. It's 10 degrees outside right now, but I'll check all this tomorrow. Appreciate the pointers! Cheers, Ian

  3. #3mg23612022-01-20 05:13

    Welcome to HEF Willsy ! Block heater from Deere found here: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/67663/referrer/search/pgId/472762 The "D" series engines should only be running 0W-40 synthetic in the cold climates.

  4. #4Delmer2022-01-20 09:23

    #1 fuel is higher cetane number, that's what makes it explode easily for cold weather starting. JD manuals say to use #1 for higher elevations also, even in summer, harder to start at higher elevation as lower compression due to thinner air.

  5. #5Willsy2022-01-20 10:55

    Thank you! Turns out I should have been searching for engine coolant heater, not block heater. Much appreciated. I'll also get the oil changed.

  6. #6Willsy2022-01-20 10:55

    Ok that makes a lot of sense. I am at 6600'. I'll source some #1 fuel. Thank you!