Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 350 question

BlackDog ยท 2015-02-26 00:09

I was looking at a 1969-70, JD 350 B dozer with unk hours. Fresh paint, runs but needs pins and bushings in track chains. Guy wants $6000 for it. I have always run TLB's so not really familiar with dozers. What should I look for, are the repairs hard to do and do the parts cost $$$? Is this a decent machine? I would be using it for small lot clearings and around my place.

Replies5
  1. #1g_man2015-02-26 09:26

    I remember when I was in your shoes. Find someone who knows dozers to look at it with you. Pay him and it will be well worth it. If you are a back yard mechanic the repairs are hard. if you have a good well equipped heavy equipment shop then not so hard. The repairs are very expensive, thousands, even more if you hire it done. Parts can be hard to find. To start you say it runs - the 350 b has dry steering clutches/brakes. They are often seized up. does it steer properly ?? Might as well do them with the under carriage.

  2. #2BlackDog2015-03-04 23:40

    Thanks Gman no real shop, so I am thinking I'm going to be passing on this. What should I look for when looking at a machine with tracks?

  3. #3JimP2015-03-05 06:56

    I found this guide helpful. http://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/undrcarguide.pdf . jdcrawlers is another forum with lots of info on early JD machines (mods - I apologize if this is frowned on). I second g-man's recommendation to find someone who knows the machine and pay for a final check before buying.

  4. #4Iron@Dirt2015-03-05 17:30

    Had a 350B. It could do a little work, but limited at 40 horse power( payed for repairs with side work). It did help me shape up the camp area though. Sold it for 7, had worn tracks and chains, but that small of a machine might not wear out the tracks as fast as you think. It was still a good start for us. Good luck.

  5. #5pafarmer2015-03-06 06:14

    Personally I would look for a nice JD 450... Much better machine, loads of parts both new and used on most model years. Sounds like you have very limited knowledge on Dozers so I too highly recommend finding someone that knows them and can help you look at prospective purchases. local heavy equipment dealership mevhanic is a great place yo find a qualified person yo aid in this. The money you spend hiring a trained man is well worth the investment. Heavy equipment can become extremely cost very quickly. You can find yourself in the 10K range very quickly on repairs. Good luck and be smart about how you peruse this equipment purchase and take your time. Don't buy anything without having it fully tested by your hired man...