I've posted on this machine before and never have got it straightened out. I fired it up after two months of sitting to try and remove the 2" of ice on my driveway. I let it run at a high idle for about 10 mins, then tried to move from we're it was sitting but spun and got no traction. I tried to use the loader to push myself back, but it hardly moved. I turned to the hoe and it just creeped very slowly. I also noticed my steering was very jerky. I left a gauge from previous trouble shooting on the supply side of the hydraulic pump and it was reading 0 psi. My previous issue was the hydraulics would get slow as they warmed up and the machine slips in the higher gears but pulls okay in the low gears. So far I've tested pressures at the pump. Change filters, hydro fluid, and cleaned the pickup screen. No debris found except a steel part behind the screen that looks like a large rivet. Looking to get it fixed this spring, I have a long electric line to dig. Thank you in advance for any input or ideas. I don't want to spend a bunch of time and money in the wrong direction.
Has anyone ever had the pleasure of replacing a transmission pump on a jd410, or heard of one going bad even? I know they are a gear pump.
I'm not familiar with the 410, but if you found a large piece of steel at the screen and have no pressure, it sure sound like you have a contaminated system (and likely something broken as rivets should not be flowing in the system). Possibly right at the manifold, in the lines, etc. If not disassembled, flushed and repaired, you might be looking at big bucks to repair this machine.
Here's the other thread for those of us who forgot all about it. You got some good advice in that thread. But it was all over the place mixed in with the not so great advice (for my part this reverser is NOT the same as the Case, thanks Melben!) Lantraxco said that it's possible but not likely that the charge pump itself is bad. I agree, there's so many ways for that system to leak, and so many valves that can get jammed/broken that the charge pump is the last place I'd look. If you have the technical manual, have you tried to do the transmission pump flow test? into a bucket with a timer and assistant should be good enough for our purposes here. There is a JD test adapter that you need to put in place of the transmission filter, but you could make such an adapter with sufficient motivation. I would pull apart the control valves to inspect for damage, and then block off the high pressure hydraulic line at the pump or priority valve to see if your charge pressure changes/transmission fuctions. But first do the transmission pump flow test if possible. I wouldn't bother with the brakes as suggested by the last post in the other thread, good brakes won't matter if the trans doesn't work. You can cap the lines to eliminate any leaks to the brakes to rule that out as contributing to the low pressures. Also: did you ever use the infrared thermometer to check to see what was getting warm first? Starting it up in the cold and idling shouldn't warm up the hydraulic valves unless they're leaking. Might be easy to see when you start with everything cold.
I never did check the flow into a bucket with a line off, that was my next thing to do. I got busy and the machine wasn't a priority for a while(happens to often to me). I would imagine that I've at least narrowed it to a supply side issue? Oddly before the weather turned cold I needed to move a large pile of wood and couldn't believe how fast and powerful the hoe moved just for that one time then right back slow. One of the spools on the hoe leaks pretty good, I was going to repack it, I'm not sure if that could cause these issues, but I figure one less problem might simplify troubleshooting.
Just cap the line going to the brake valve, way simpler way to simplify the troubleshooting.
Sounds like really good advice. Do you think I can find plugs at a hydraulic hose shop? Also, I feel it's probably best to deal with the high range slipping last, is it very likely these two issues are related?
No idea if they're related problems but you have nothing to lose diagnosing it first. Hydraulic shop should have the caps, or online.
I got a chance to do some trouble shooting on this machine today(the weather finally broke here). I took the supply line to the hyd. Pump off and ran it into a bucket. The engine ran for about 35 to 40 seconds, got around 4 gallons of fluid out of it. I figured this was a sign of a good trans. Pump. I then reattached the lines topped up my fluid and started the machine. The machine idled and I watched supply pressure come up to 50/60psi, then I think the hyd pump came online (sounded like the engine came under load) then instantly watched my supply pressure go to 0psi no matter what the throttle position was. Now since I've started the hoe for the first time since winter, I can barely raise the boom, front loader, riggers all hydraulic movement is very slow and chatters except steering. Going for hydraulic caps tomorrow if I get the chance.