I have a JD 410B backhoe and I have tried everything possible to free up and remove the hydraulic filter canister and replace the filter. I have tried strap wrenches, 3/4 drive sockets w/ breaker bar and pipe extension, penetrating oil, heat, etc.. I can not break the canister loose. I called the local JD dealer who recommended the strap wrench. The only thing I can think of is the canister is oxidized or the previous owner used some type of sealant. Does anyone have any ideas or guidance on removing this? Someone suggested braking the canister w/ a chisel, but it is very expensive to replace. I would like to avoid that if possible. A follow on question. The machine is older, but runs well. The only other issue I am having is that the lower hydraulic reservoir in the transmission seems to always have excess fluid. I changed the hydraulic thruster filter in the transmission and I have plenty of power. However the upper hydraulic reservoir always seems to be running low. I believe the two reservoirs are connected and the fluid seems to pool in the lower reservoir. I have been draining it down throught the transmission drain plug and topping off the upper resevoir. Could this be related to a blockage in the filter I have been unable to replace?
Don't break it, but is the canister steel? I've had some similar filters on Japanese machines with aluminum housings and steel canisters that sort of weld themselves together over time. If you have a helper, have them put everything you sensibly can on it for torque, then with a large chisel at an angle to the ring just below the housing, whack it smartly with a four or five pound hammer. In my case I've done several that only required a few degrees of turn before you could basically spin it out by hand. If you get it apart, use grease or never seize on the threads and the parting line so it doesn't stick again. Not sure what you mean by upper reservoir? But then it's been thirty years since I worked on a B model 410. Front and rear, like the reverser case and the transmission case?
Ditto^^^^? Do you by chance have a 3/4" impact gun. I have had success on those filters with that on occasion.
I climbed under the machine this morning. The screw on filter canister is definitely alloy. The housing is defintely steel. i checked it w/ a magnet. I am surprised i haven't damaged the canister in my removal efforts so far. I had a guy helping me who was a railroad diesel mechanic. He said he has never encountered anything like this. I tried the 3/4 inch drive w/ a breaker bar and cheater pipe. Applied a lot of torque and it didn't even budge. The only problem was i had to use an extension on socket to clear the frame rail. I was going to try an find a 3/4 impact gun like the next guy recommended. We previously hammered on the casing to try and shock it loose. The second issue is the pooling in the lower hydraulic reservoir. I have 2 dip sticks on the machine. The upper dipstick goes to the rerservoir on the rear transaxle housing. I believe this is the main hydraulic reservoir. The 2nd dipstick goes to the transmission housing. I keep getting elevated levels of hydraulic fluid in the transmission reservoir. It appears the fluid is shifting over from the main reservoir. I believe they are connected. the machine is operating fine, but i keep seeing a shift in fluid levels and constantly readjusting them. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks for your help / Tim
The only place oil can transfer from the Hydraulic/Transmission to the Reverser is through the oil cooler. Both systems share an oil cooler that has an internal baffle the separates the oil in them internally. If that baffle fails it allows oil transfer.
I have a repair manual for the machine. I will look up the oil cooler and check the baffle. Something is allowing pooling of fluid in the transmission reservoir, and it definitely appears to be shifting from main reservoir. Does it make sense that the machine continues running strong if that is happening?
The transfer of fluids is not going to affect the power or performance unless one of the reservoirs becomes extremely low or extremely overfull. Both reservoirs use the same oil so that also is not an issue. As far as the baffle, that is something you cannot check. You will need a new cooler.