Hi everyone-first post here. My JD 410D (collar shift) won't go into any gear besides 1st and that is difficult to get into. You have to be really precise getting it in first and it seems like it takes a little too much effort*. When pulled out of 1st I'm not able to get it into another other gears. Reverser works fine and oil levels are all good. It all did work OK, but at some point over the winter I stopped being able to get in gear. Unfortunately I'm not sure when since I only plow in first. Any thoughts or tips before I go tearing everything apart? Thank you! Jim *Sorry I'm not able to qualify this better. I'm used to driving old trucks and VWs with vague shifters and this isn't so vague as just not engaging.
Welcome to HEF jd ! Is it grinding when trying to engage a gear? Just to clarify, you have the machine shown below, top image, not the bottom image, correct?
Thanks! Yes, top machine except only 2WD. Its a 1991 I believe (can grab the S/N later). Big change from my old machine, a '68 JD500-I like everything better about the 410D except that I wish it had the powershift like the 500. There isn't any grinding, it's almost like the shift forks aren't going anywhere at all.
Sounds like you need to pull the top of the transmission off and have a look see
I stand corrected I was thinking they still used a tractor type set up like the older models
It was a valid statement. Transmission has shift rails and forks.
Dumb question-Is that something I can do with the cab on?
No, I don't think any of the removable floor plates are large enough to do much good .
Ok, that's kind of what I was figuring. Now to figure out how to get the cab off. Thank you.
Anything stopping you from taking the transmission out the bottom ? . Just a couple things to consider in your planning . Transmission (transaxle) weighs approximately 545 kg (1200 lb). Cab weighs approximately 817 kg (1800 lb) .
Guess not, that’s a good idea. I’m not used to working on these unitized machines so that never occurred to me. The lower weight closer to the ground would be easier to deal with. Thanks for the suggestion.
Does the shifter shift out of first gear to neutral easily or is it stiff?
It’s stiff. Almost feels like you’re popping it out.
Please provide a machine serial number, there is a serial number break on the 410D in parts manual for transmission parts i will send you some diagrams when know correct SR#. Have you confirmed your transaxle housing oil level is correct and condition of oil. Sometimes if oil level is low there is not enough splash lubricant reaching the shift rails and they will bind up. Once you pop the shift lever to neutral does the lever move side to side freely? Will get back with you tonight with diagrams.
Hi Steve, Thanks for the offering to pull diagrams, really appreciate it. Machine S/N: 792453 (full: T0410DA92453) When I checked previously I recall the transaxle oil level was correct and the oil wasn't milky or anything. I can check again when I'm home this weekend to make absolutely sure. The shift lever does move freely side to side. Note that it isn't crazy hard to pop out, just harder than I feel like it should be based on other machines.
Going by your machine SR# this should be the shifter and shift rails on your transmission. Please verify the shifter is correct as some of these SR# breaks are fairly close. detent balls and rails did give some problems causing excessive force to shift them. Unfortunately you would have to drop the assembly to service them and even with good access are still a pain to repair. The balls and rails depend on splash lube to get to them. Only simple thing you might try is to overfill transaxle assembly and ease it around and work the shift levers to see if they start to free up. Hope this helps.
All, check your messages.
Thanks MG for the DTAC solution that most likely the cause of this shifting problem.
Yes, thank you. That does seem like the likely cause. Appreciate the time you put into researching!! I’ll report back with my findings.