Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 410D Stuck in Four Wheel Drive

JoeMc ยท 2012-02-10 22:10

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and like most people who seek this site out, I have a conundrum. Our company has a 1992 John Deere 410D backhoe that's gotten stuck in four wheel drive. Around a week ago it got stuck in some deep mud, and was left overnight until the mud could freeze up the next day. After driving out of the mud, the machine would not come out of 4WD. I really don't have any experience working on backhoes, but it looks like there is a valve body on the left side of the engine compartment, above the engine, that has an electrically operated spool valve in it that diverts hydraulic pressure to the transfer case (forgive me if it has some other, more technical sounding name) when the operator switches between 2 and 4 wheel drive. The solenoid has good voltage, and it looks like the spool valve has its full travel, but still the machine won't shift between 2 and 4 wheel drive. One peculiar thing that I noticed is that the "default" setting is 4WD. That is too say, when the solenoid is not energized, the machine is in 4WD. And when the solenoid is energized, the valve opens and fluid is sent to the transfer case. Just not what I expected, but given the choice, if I were in a pickle, it would make sense. I guess my first question is whether any of you have come across this? Also, if i put a gauge in-line on the hose leading to the transfer case, any idea how much pressure I should get? Incidentally, the backhoe functions completely normally otherwise. Thanks for the help in advance, Joe McInnis

Replies3
  1. #1tuney4432012-02-11 14:44

    Are you possibly confusing 4x4 with the rear axle being locked?There is a foot switch or lever[can't remember which] to engage a ''posi'' type locked axle.If you're not familiar to the rig,it could give you the impression it's in 4 wheel drive.If this is the case,it should disengage shortly after you come out of your slippery situation,if it doesn't, try doing some individual brake pedal turning.

  2. #2trevor b2012-02-11 15:31

    could water posabley leaked in over night . just enough turn to slush and not let gears back out? tb.

  3. #3Deon2012-02-13 20:32

    There is a solenoid on the left side of the transmission. The solenoid is connected to a link that rotates a shaft connecting the front driveshaft. Check the wire connection at the solenoid. You may have torn them off when you were frozen in the mud.