Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 410D w/MFWD need advice on removing right inner tie rod end at steering cylinder

Old JD ยท 2014-12-02 09:49

Hello and thanks to all that offer suggestions. I have a 94 JD 410D w/mfwd and I broke the tie rod and need some help on removing the inner tie rod end where it connects to the steering cylinder. The inner tie rod is connected to the steering cylinder which is behind a bracket with 4 bolts. I think the inner tie rod end is threaded and should be turnded off but I may need to remove the bracket where it connects to the steering cylinder to pull it out but it is not clear to me how to remove it. I was able to remove the outer tie rod end from the wheel assembly fairly easy but the inner tie rod is conncected to the steering cylinder which just spins if I try to turn the remaining inner tie rod end off.

Replies3
  1. #1Old JD2014-12-03 11:29

    This is where it broke off. The rest of the tie rod connected to the wheel. When I try to turn this end piece the entire cylinder spins. I am guessing I must take the 4 bolts off and remove the bracket to get the this piece off and put on a new tie rod. Never done it before so anyone who knows from experience please leave a comment. Thanks again.

  2. #2Chisumtrail2014-12-03 21:59

    Turn the steering wheel to make cylinder extend out, on one end of polish rod it has flats so you can get a wrench on it. If it does not break loose book says to warm end of polish rod with a torch to heat the Loctite.

  3. #3Old JD2014-12-04 09:56

    thanks. I will give that a try and let you know how it worked out.