Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 410J Extend-a-hoe Removal

cric8192 · 2020-01-13 18:59

I am trying to separate the extend a hoe on a John Deere 410J backhoe to change out the wear pads. As far as I can tell the only thing holding the inner and outer slide section together is the cylinder. I have knocked out the lower pin at the rod end and can pull the outer section out quite a ways but then it jams and won't come completely out. Am I missing something?

Replies6
  1. #1mg23612020-01-14 05:06

    You need to extend the extendahoe cylinder a foot or two because the rod eye is hanging up on the wear plates that are on the side of the stick (near the top).

  2. #2cric81922020-01-14 08:30

    Thanks for the reply. Before reading your message I knocked out the upper pin as well so the cylinder is just free floating inside the inner section now and it still jams up at the same spot. I’ve looked at the parts breakdown and can’t see how I’m not able to pull the 2 sections apart with the cylinder completely unhooked.

  3. #3AzIron2020-01-14 20:59

    Correct me if I am wrong it's been a few years since I had one apart but I believe you need to pull the upper and lower pads out cause there is a set of pads on the stick in the box

  4. #4heymccall2020-01-14 23:12
  5. #5mg23612020-01-15 04:03

    AzIron is correct. I assumed you had those wear pads out. It would be the hardware shown in heymccalls's picture I copied below.

  6. #6cric81922020-01-15 07:31

    Thanks for the help guys, that was the problem. I should have caught that one. Outer section top and bottom wear plates have to be unbolted first.