Seller said his dad/family always thought it was a ‘63; but recently they were told it’s a ‘65. I haven’t reached out to John Deere to see what they could tell me about the machine. I’ve attached pics of the plates (on right-side of eng/trans). In the meantime, I’ve read the operators manual cover to cover, and the family also included a separate book on the winch (haven’t gotten into that yet). Wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a service/repair manual? And/or parts book (if JD even separates the books)? I see some stuff on eBay/web, but thought I should see what others use/prefer before I put down the $. Not to mention this is my first Deere machine so not familiar with the differences between a 440 vs 440a machine. For our small property/wood lot this antique should help out a bunch. I really like the fact that this machine was with one family since 1972. While they may not have believed in paint(!), the rest of the machine appears tight/decent. Of course, it has a few drips here and there, some cracks on blade, etc, but until I drop the belly pans and dig in deeper, I’m not 100% sure. But does run/drive/operate very well as is… Lastly- I’ve never seen solid engine side-covers…was that a JD cold weather “option” (they appear factory with pin/spring/latch/fit)??
The engine sn# you posted is an eng. model 4202 (4 cyl 202 Cu in) The 440,440A and 440B are all covered in one service manual # TM1009 . Deere has a good online parts lookup site, https://partscatalog.deere.com . The screenshot below is from the parts catalog introduction section. The machine serial # T5A3R that you posted ,shows the machine as a 440 straight with diesel engine and synchro range transmission. .
Thank you Diesel Dave! Your info is a big help...especially the Deere parts catalog (which I'm impressed how easy/complete it is to use). Hopefully once I catch-up on my laundry list of to-do's I'll get after tracking down the service manual to start studying/cleaning/fixing... I do know there is a slight hydraulic drip/leak coming from the front nose area, I'm assuming a hose, fitting(s), and/or resealing the front hydraulic pump will be in my future... Until then, add-n-go
Nice find Diesel Dave