Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 440A Need help, about to buy one…

Timberking ยท 2014-08-25 15:25

I have a chance to buy a good little JD 440A skidder at a good price with new tires, good winch and remained engine.. good runner, until the tranny went out that is. I have a local guy with a transmission for it he said he would sell me for a grand and load it in my truck. My question is How hard will it be to swap the new good used transmission in the skidder that now has a bad one ?? I'v swaped plenty of Truck and car trannys and even rebuilt a couple but not familiar with skidders that much.. Is the skidder tranny a stand alone unit ? or is it a much bigger task as like swapping a dozer trans ? any info would be of great help as i have to make a quick decision but dont know what i should do..

Replies3
  1. #1Timberking2014-08-26 16:10

    Well, thanks anyway... It looks as if im diving into this one head first .... Hopefully it doesn't bit me in the ***.

  2. #2Delmer2014-08-26 18:04

    It looks like it is a stand alone unit in this application. http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt So it shouldn't be too much harder than a truck? I'd guess it's around 1,000 lbs though, so there's that difference. It looks like an 8 speed powershift that was used "across the board" so to speak, so the internals are common. And the knowledge is out there also. What's the story on the transmission? You want to figure out what happened before you swap it out.

  3. #3Timberking2014-08-28 00:53

    Well, i backed out of the 440 and bought a Tree farmer c4d. Gotta go pick it up next week but Now I cant find out what i weighs, owner didnt know for sure and i would deff like to know before i pull it 5 hours back south. I am gonna make a new post asking the weight, but if anybody see's this and knows the weight, it would be much appreciated ! P.s. Google all I could on its weight an turned up empty handed.