Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 444

russ61 ยท 2025-05-27 12:14

Looking at JD 444 now. Rebuilt engine, new tires, log forks. It has an unusual bucket coupler, hydraulic pin pull. The top has a hoop type thing, that he cut off because he couldn't get the bucket off. I can weld it back though; he saved the part. Found a similar pic. How good is this machine for farm use /road maintenance? Was looking at IT28 cat and the guys on here told me to stay away from it. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Diesel Dave2025-05-27 13:17

    That is a Craig Manufacturing bucket coupler, very common up here in Canada. Is there a letter designation for that 444 ?

  2. #2russ612025-05-27 13:54

    Not on the machine, didn't see the tag on it. That's more than I knew this morning. Thanks

  3. #3Diesel Dave2025-05-27 14:00

    pic below is a 444 straight .

  4. #4russ612025-05-27 14:26

    This is the one I'm looking at

  5. #5Diesel Dave2025-05-27 15:34

    444 straight, not the fastest or smoothest thing to run. Loader hydraulics and engine are bullet proof , transmission is ok. Steering and brake systems are the weakest link. Parts availability will be an issue.