Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 450 e stopped moving

Ralph Harris · 2025-01-01 12:30

Hey everybody, this is my first time posting I’m 63 years old and have own Equipment most of my life. I have done hundreds of searches on this site and it’s awesome thanks in advance for any help that I might receive and if I can help anybody out with an opinion or something that happened to me I will try thanks . I have 450 Deer Bulldozer that I’ve owned for about three months. It’s been a great little machine but right after I bought it a hydraulic oil leak on the left rear axle leaking fluid onto the left rear track. It would get slow to move as it would get low on fluid yesterday with a full crank case it stopped moving 100% no matter what we tried. I haven’t checked the hydraulic filters yet. I was just wondering if anybody has experience with this machine could maybe point me in the right direction thanks everybody in advance and happy new year Ralph.

Replies36
  1. #1Diesel Dave2025-01-01 14:08

    Welcome to HEF Ralph . I suspect the splines on the engine clutch disk and or the transmission input shaft are stripped. Install a 200- 300 psi guage at the 1/8 NPT pipe plug under the drum plug. At 1800 rpm,Normal transmission pump pressure with clutch pedal up and in neutral,forward or reverse is 165-180 psi. See screenshot below showing drum plug location. .

  2. #2Ralph Harris2025-01-01 14:49

    I appreciate the information. I will certainly do that. I have some fittings laying around. What would you recommend as far as hose with high pressure hydraulic line for pressure set up?

  3. #3Ralph Harris2025-01-01 14:50

    OK, I’ll see. I can just do a pressure gauge with a hardline set up.

  4. #4Ralph Harris2025-01-01 14:52

    OK, if the pressure is lower than that or higher than that, what’s the diagnosis?

  5. #5Diesel Dave2025-01-01 14:55

    If my stripped splines theory is correct the pressure will be zero or damn near zero

  6. #6Ralph Harris2025-01-01 19:29

    Appreciate it I’ll post back soon

  7. #7Steve Austin2025-01-06 15:59

    In the picture Diesel Dave sent you rubber plug number 2 on right side there also is a plug on left side of clutch housing. Remove that plug and check the position of the jam nut on the adjustment stud. Also take a flashlight and check for oil in the clutch housing. I have seen the clutch disk get saturated with oil and cause slippage or no movement also.

  8. #8Ralph Harris2025-01-07 09:44

    I appreciate that. I’m going over there today because the machine is on another property that I own. The machine has always started really nice even when cold for down here low 20s Almost bought a pressure test kit the other day, but I’m going to see what I actually need to set up a gauge for that, but I will look at that nut nuts off that means it can’t engage correct? I did start up cold a couple days ago when we put it in here it would move about an inch forward and then about an inch in reverse so it’s getting some pressure it would seem

  9. #9Ralph Harris2025-01-07 09:45

    I meant to say when I put it in gear

  10. #10Ralph Harris2025-01-07 09:59

    I appreciate that. I certainly will do that. We put it in gear the other day and it barely bumped forward maybe an inch and then bumped rearward about an inch. We’re going over today because it said another piece of land not where I live and I will try that take some pictures and then I’ll post back. Thanks guys.

  11. #11Steve Austin2025-01-07 10:26

    The locknut adjustment is used to set the pressure for the HLR clutch packs. I have seen many of those adjustment nuts lose their tension especially if there have been adjusted several times. They tend to back off and lower the operating pressure for the clutch packs. The nut takes a 1/2-inch socket deep well if the nut turns freely by hand, it has lost its locking ability. You will need a new lock nut and go thru the adjustment procedure in tech manual to obtain correct pressure.

  12. #12Ralph Harris2025-01-08 17:52
  13. #13Ralph Harris2025-01-08 17:54

    This is the first time I’ve looked at the top of a bulldozer. I seen a plug between the left and right levers. I don’t know what y’all are calling the drum so I took some pictures if I’m in the wrong area please let me know. Something crazy happened, though I push the clutch in put it in gear and let it out and the dozer moved so I ran it for about 20 minutes. It worked as good as it has. but just starting it up and putting it in gear it wouldn’t move unless I push the clutch in but after I push the clutch in and let it out, it started working normally

  14. #14Ralph Harris2025-01-08 17:54

    The pictures are directly under the seat where I put in the hydraulic fluid

  15. #15Ralph Harris2025-01-08 18:18
  16. #16Ralph Harris2025-01-08 18:20

    Is there a chance that the clutch was stuck in or depressed possibly clutch plates got hot my son was using the clutch a lot to drive the bulldozer and I told him that you don’t need to clutch to drive it not like you do a tractor

  17. #17Steve Austin2025-01-08 18:28

    Sounds like you have clutch pedal linkage binding on dirt or debris or frozen pin at pivot points. Clean area around linkage and spray with penetrating oil. All pins should move freely no binding. The plug you are looking for is the same plug that goes in a 55 gallon drum or at least looks the same. You will see in the center of transmission cover more toward front third of cover. Not near the small cover where steering clutch spool's are. Also you should hear the clutch pedal hit its stop, there may be debris not letting it return all the way. Pull up on pedal by hand and see if it feel like a solid stop not spongy.

  18. #18Steve Austin2025-01-08 18:31

    When dozer won’t move hang your foot under the clutch pedal pull up on pedal see if dozer starts to move.

  19. #19Steve Austin2025-01-08 18:43

    Let us know how much free travel you have on your clutch pedal please.

  20. #20Steve Austin2025-01-08 19:33

    Sorry I missed your post 17 about your son using the clutch. At this point you need to locate the plug in top cover remove it there will be an 1/8 inch pipe plug you will need to remove. The plug takes a 3/16 Allen socket make sure your socket has no rounded edges if someone has over tightened the plug it can easily be stripped tap the socket into the plug to make sure it is seated good. You will need a good 300 psi gauge and a hose or fittings to connect to test port. Look for around 180 psi of pressure.

  21. #21Ralph Harris2025-01-08 20:54

    I really appreciate the info guys lifesavers

  22. #22Ralph Harris2025-01-08 21:01

    I’ll post video of pins and linkages thnx

  23. #23Diesel Dave2025-01-09 08:22

    The drum plug is in the top cover closest to the engine. Revisit post #2

  24. #24Ralph Harris2025-01-09 09:51

    thanks, Dave. I think I saw that plug. Is it a square plug? I’m going to pressure wash the entire dozer and replace all the fluids and do a good maintenance on it. Supposedly it was done not too long ago but I really need this machine to be 100%.

  25. #25Steve Austin2025-01-09 10:40

    Your test port will be under plug number 13.

  26. #26Ralph Harris2025-01-09 11:29

    I absolutely will when I get back over there. Thanks a bunch.

  27. #27Ralph Harris2025-01-16 13:11

    I can’t figure out how to post a video but the pressure at idle is about 130 when I rev it up to 1800 RPM the highest it gets is 155 when I put it in reverse it drops to 30 and then slowly climbs up to 150 or less it drops to 30 to 50 psi when I go from forward to reverse or reverse to forward now that I have a gauge when it stops moving at all, I’ll be able to post what the pressures are Any ideas guys thanks

  28. #28Ralph Harris2025-01-16 18:17

    So I did the penny thing under the spring. I cleaned it up real good. It already had one penny in there. The pressure went from 120 to 1:50 to 150 to 170. It’s working almost normally now.

  29. #29Ralph Harris2025-01-16 18:18

    My guess is I probably have some pump work coming up or something even more expensive

  30. #30Diesel Dave2025-01-16 20:28

    It’s not possible to post videos here. Up load the video to utube or similiar and post the link. Was the oil temperature cold or warm at the above pressure ?

  31. #31mg23612025-01-17 04:50

    Sounds like the HLR Clutch needs to be adjusted. I would perform that first to see if that resolves your issue. Check your messages.

  32. #32Steve Austin2025-01-17 10:06

    Diesel Dave has you on the right track. Make sure the area around clutch pedal and linkage is free no mud or debris build up. Make sure self locking nut feels like it still has good locking ability. Also take a good flashlight and look in clutch housing after rubber plug is removed check for oil in housing should be dry. When shifting forward to reverse how many seconds does it take to make the shift. Be sure to make the adjustments with unit warmed up.

  33. #33Ralph Harris2025-01-18 12:13

    Thnx guys, I don’t know the temps? Possibly 2 to 5 seconds to respond seems to have a lot more pushing power, pressures never got above 175

  34. #34Ralph Harris2025-01-18 12:16

    I will definitely check adjustments on clutch thnx

  35. #35Steve Austin2025-01-18 15:39

    If the HLR clutch adjustment is out of spec it will lower your pressure. I see where you added a shim to regulating valve spring, after HLR adjustment you may find pressure to high if all else is in good working order.

  36. #36Ralph Harris2025-01-19 23:23

    Thanks, Steve. Il definitely not run it until I know the pressures are where they need to be.