Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jd 450 front cross bar

tymtrac ยท 2017-09-27 12:17

Hello all I have a jd 450 straight and i am slowly repairing all that is wrong with it. It staerts and runs great, did a new injector pump, all hoses, seats etc, starter, alternator and all wireng harnesses. Now my biggest job yet front cross bar. The bushing holes are gone and it was welded several times which is now broke. I have a new cross bar. Quetion is can i change it without removing the track bars ? Once i have the cross bar unbolted can i not jack up the front end and it would tilt leaving tracks on the ground giving me a enough room to get the old bar out ? loosen the tracks right off to go over or thru ? I realize i have to remove the the blade arms and hyd line to the front and skid plates> Any help would be appreciated. Mike

Replies3
  1. #1redneckracin2017-09-27 14:46

    I believe it will but If you don't have a crane, I would want to split the tracks to keep the height down. The upper part of the machine should just rotate on the rear shaft (i forget the name) we just did our straight 550 JD. You might get lucky and be able to roll it partway over and pull it out, but that cross bar sure is heavy when you can't get a good angle on it!!

  2. #2tymtrac2017-09-27 17:08

    Thanks for the input, we have a couple big hydraulic jacks and heavy timbers to support it. mike

  3. #3redneckracin2017-09-27 17:56

    Just make sure you don't box yourself in to tightly, That crossbar was alot more than I wanted to lift up with just two guys reaching for it.