Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 450 Stop Moving/Fair purchase price?

Heavy Chevy ยท 2016-11-30 00:02

I am thinking about buying a older model JD 450 dozer with 6 way blade from a farmer; however, the owner was moving it from one location to another under its own power and it quit moving. First question, does anyone know what this could be? Clutch perhaps or are there any other things to be suspicious of why it stopped moving...I spoke with the owner and he mentioned that sometimes it would hesitate to move but would eventually start moving? Second question, what will be a fair purchase price for this broken dozer? ....hydraulics and engine are fine.

Replies24
  1. #1Don k2016-11-30 10:10

    What model of 450 is it?

  2. #2Heavy Chevy2016-11-30 18:25

    It is a JD 450C. Not sure of the year just yet.

  3. #3td25c2016-11-30 18:59

    There is also a transmission valve linkage on the clutch shaft . Upper left hand side of the bell housing you will see an inspection port . You should see the shaft linkage and adjustment nut , there is also a spring involved under the shaft lever . Make sure the shaft is working freely in both directions while working the clutch peddle and check the condition of the spring . This linkage controls oil pressure to the clutch pack so it could be a culprit .

  4. #4Heavy Chevy2016-11-30 20:33

    Thanks much. I just talked to the owner tonight and I am really interested in this little dozer but trying to get a feel for what the culprit may be. I am looking online for technical manuals and see what looks to be a dealer type manual for approx $125 as well as I see pay $26 and downloaded a technical manual. Any ideas on which may be better as paying more money doesn't always equate to better quality. According to the SN, this dozer was made in 1982.

  5. #5old-iron-habit2016-11-30 20:44

    Are the on line manuals by JD. JD does not let anyone copyright there manuals and every off market copy I have ever seen has not been satisfactory. Genuine JD manuals are dang expensive in price but at least they are usable on the important stuff. Check Google for used ones. Should not be to hard to find for the old 450C series.

  6. #6Heavy Chevy2016-11-30 21:43

    Thanks for that advice as I will now order the JD manuals and not even try the online manuals.

  7. #7check2016-12-01 10:44

    If I was certain the transmission was shot, I would probably avoid a 450C. They are very good dozers but the trannies are extremely expensive to rebuild. Also inspect the crossbar that links left and right undercarriage for cracks.

  8. #8Heavy Chevy2016-12-01 11:34

    Wow! Without tearing down the dozer, is there a way to determine whether it is the clutch or tranny gears blown? I think I handle replacing the transmission myself; but not rebuilding the tranny myself. I don't know how much truth is to this only what the owner said....but he said you could pull the engine to replace the clutch if in fact that was the problem without dropping the tranny. Does anyone know that to be the truth?

  9. #9Don k2016-12-01 13:41

    I have a 450C. It has regular foot operated clutch to shift the 4 speed transmission. It also has a high- low- reverse hydraulic controlled clutch pack. I doubt if the foot operated clutch is at fault. Only time it is used is to shift gears and your H-L-R lever should be in neutral at that time. I would imagine the problem is either in the H-L-R clutch pack or the Hyd. pump that controls it. Get the book and tap into the port on top of the trans. and check pressures there to start. Start with checking pressures before you do anything.

  10. #10Heavy Chevy2016-12-01 16:55

    Thanks, Is there a separate hydraulic pump that controls the tranny vs the blade? The blade hydraulics still work fine. Also, everything else on the dozer appears to be in good working order. The dozer according to the serial number was made in 1982. What would you suggest offering for this broken equipment. It has the 6 way blade.

  11. #11Heavy Chevy2016-12-01 16:57

    When searching manuals, I see JD 450C manuals; however, I am wondering if the manuals I see cover the 6 way blade as well. All the pics I have seen show the 450C with the regular pushing blade only; I would hope that manual covers all the 450C versions but I don't know.

  12. #12Don k2016-12-01 18:20

    Yes there is a hyd. pump on the front of the trans. that controls the H_L_R_ clutches. Don't worry about the 6 way blade. The H-L-R clutches can be removed without taking out the trans. Make sure you figure out what is wrong before offering anything. Check the pressures first.

  13. #13Heavy Chevy2016-12-01 19:17

    Thx Don. When checking the pressures, is there some special universal pressure tester that I can buy at a local auto parts store or do I need to go online or to a JD dealer and purchase a special tester just for this? I went to this ebay link and found manuals. Does this look like a good authentic set to purchase? http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-DEERE-...L-SERVICE-OPERATOR-PARTS-MANUAL-/161949331083

  14. #14boaterri2016-12-01 19:48

    Heavy Chevy: I am a new 450C track loader owner and purchased the Track Loader version of the manuals you linked to. They seem to be very complete and well put together. They were prompt in delivery. I would buy from them again if I bought a 450C dozer and needed the dozer specific manuals. Rick

  15. #15Don k2016-12-01 19:49

    Remove the right and left foot rest. Under the right side there is a bung that looks like it is from a 55 gal. barrel. Unscrew it. Facing toward the rear under the hole is a !/8 allen wrench plug. That is where you tie into. I have a 1/8 nipple and a piece of flex hose with a pressure gauge. I forget what the pressures are but they are not real high. Not that big a deal. The books look good. they will tell you how everything needs to be adjusted. I changed my H-L-R clutches a few years ago. You do not need to remove the transmission. But first check and adjust the pressures according to the book. I also had problems with the clutch control rod ends being loose. Seemed like a rebuilt H-L-R clutch pack cost me a couple of grand. Make sure you know the problem before making an offer. Parts add up really quick. Look what a running 450C is going for and go from there.

  16. #16Heavy Chevy2016-12-01 23:25

    Thx Rick! I will order those manuals eventhough I don't own the dozer yet; however, I really need to do a good troubleshoot before committing to purchase.

  17. #17old-iron-habit2016-12-02 10:12

    If the C is like a D model, at least on the loader models, the clutch pushed half way in will release the H-L-R. Pushing it all the way in will release the main transmission for shifting. If this linkage is out of a specific adjustment it will cause travel issues and depending on what they adjusted it could seem like the clutch is slipping also. Adjusting has to be done in the proper sequence but is not difficult per say.

  18. #18Heavy Chevy2016-12-02 12:20

    Thx Don! Great information and I can't wait for the manuals to arrive. The owner mentioned that he wanted $4,000 or $5,000 for it as is. Maybe I can talk him down to $2,000 or $3,000 and hope that it is just an adjustment problem.

  19. #19Heavy Chevy2016-12-02 12:23

    Thx Much! I will most definitely look to check pressure and adjustments first and see if I can buy this broken piece for $2 - $3,000.

  20. #20Welder Dave2016-12-02 15:19

    Are people just dumb when they say they want $4000 or $5000 for something they're selling? Who in they're right mind would offer $5000 if they could get it $4000?

  21. #21Heavy Chevy2016-12-02 15:57

    Dave, he actually wasn't advertising it for sell. It has been setting for 9 months and I remember when it broke, I caught him off guard and asked him what was he going to do with it...he mentioned fixing it and I asked about if he wanted to sell it and that is when he mentioned maybe $4 - $5k for it.

  22. #22boaterri2016-12-02 23:16

    Heavy Chevy: Good luck with the research, remember, the price will go up when the machine is fixed. If it is an adjustment, keep it under your hat until the deal is sealed. Rick

  23. #23Welder Dave2016-12-03 01:10

    I realize he wasn't really thinking but why not just say $5000.

  24. #24Heavy Chevy2016-12-03 21:11

    Will do Rick, Thx!