Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 450 Trans Identification

barkoguru · 2025-10-22 20:49

Looking at a JD 450 this weekend to see if it’s worth messing with, the usual story, ran and drove to where it’s parked, owner passed, new owner just wants it gone from the property, haven’t seen it in person yet only photos, I noticed it has the shifter in the floorboard and I assume the gear selector on the left in the normal position, I’m wondering if this is a straight manual transmission with no clutches for the forward and reverse other than the main engine clutch of course, a little education is appreciated.

Replies9
  1. #1Diesel Dave2025-10-23 07:15

    The transmission controls are in the same location regardless of it being Hi Lo Reverse or constant mesh. If there is an oil filter behind the front grill in front of the radiator it’s a Hi Lo Reverse trans.

  2. #2barkoguru2025-10-23 18:36

    I’ll have look when I get out there for a filter out front, I’ve never been around many of these older Deere’s, any ideas about the blade, looks like a straight blade but mounted inside the tracks, no hydraulics for tilt or angle, I’ve personally never seen one that this way, usually mounted outside the tracks or inside with a sixth way.

  3. #3Diesel Dave2025-10-23 20:06

    Assuming original ,it’s a model 6400 bulldozer attachment. If not seized solid ,has mechanical angle and mechanical tilt. Screenshot’s from 6400 operator manual. .

  4. #4Steve Austin2025-10-24 18:07

    I started working at a Deere dealership in 1974 I do not recall ever seeing a 450 with a manual angle and tilt inside mounted blade always an outside mounted blade. That looks original per the Deere parts page.

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-10-25 02:24

    I've always heard the transmission is very expensive to repair.

  6. #6Diesel Dave2025-10-25 07:31

    You’re thinking of the 550/555 straight, A and B machines.

  7. #7oarwhat2025-10-25 08:41

    WE owned a JD 450 for many years. If I was you, I'd pass. First off they have dry steering clutches and brakes. They need regular adjustment. They can get frozen and not release from sitting.. This will definitely be a problem on this one. They can get oil in there and slip. Next is the rear engine mounting bolts snap off constantly. This causes cracking in the rear frame. Believe me they're not worth the trouble.

  8. #8Welder Dave2025-10-25 20:41

    I thought the 450's were pricey too.

  9. #9Welder Dave2025-10-25 20:53

    I have a Cat 931B with new steering clutches and dry brakes. Never had any issues and haven't had to adjust them after the initial adjustment. It steers great with light foot pressure. Had to push fairly hard and then one side stopped working entirely is why I rebuilt them. That wasn't cheap at about $3500/side but it is a pleasure to operate now. I look at the price of new machines to justify fixing older machines in relatively good condition. I'd guess a new 1yd track loader with a backhoe attacment would be running close to $200K! Maybe JD's were more prone to moisture or seizing up?