Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jd 450b

BlackDog ยท 2015-09-21 23:25

I just picked up the dozer and It has a bit of an issue with the steering. It will not steer left. I pulled the inspection plate and the problem is where the linkage connects to the brake linkage, there seems to be something missing. I called John Deere but they were no help. Anybody got an idea what goes there? Part number?

Replies10
  1. #1repowerguy2015-09-22 07:09

    Lots of small mechanism in those B's, we will need pics to know what you are speaking of.

  2. #2Old Junk Man2015-09-22 12:04

    take it apart if something is missing its laying somewhere inside the housing. look at the other side it will be a mirror image.

  3. #3lantraxco2015-09-22 12:17

    Won't steer left as in the tractor just stops, or it keeps going straight? What does it do if you pull both handles? Yep, pictures please.

  4. #4moriboy2015-09-22 21:56

    FYI- John Deere will be of no help with a machine of that era. Like others have said, pics would make diagnosing this problem a lot easier.

  5. #5BlackDog2015-09-30 09:05

    I had a moment and realized I could just look at the other side. So I took the inspection plate and there it was. Looked like a 3/8 bolt with a rubber nut. Did not look like a big deal. Now my next step is fixing the track adjuster. I got the fork removed but need to replace the rod. Any ideas on where to get a giant spring compressor or is there another easier way?

  6. #6lantraxco2015-09-30 11:32

    You don't need to remove that spring, but you may need to torch the adjuster tube out of there in order to replace it. The way that broke is a very common failure point on those old Deeres.

  7. #7BlackDog2015-09-30 22:39

    The adjuster tube is the piece that is still attached to the back of the spring? How would I use a torch to remove it? Thanks

  8. #8lantraxco2015-10-01 01:24

    It just slips into the front end cap: Yours is most likely rusted solid. Might be able to weld something on the tube and use a jack or portapower along with some banging on the end cap in the spring with a five pounder or better. Worst case you may be able to split the tube all the way in through there with a cutting torch.

  9. #9BlackDog2015-10-03 13:10

    Ok I think I have it. So normally the tube is just held on there with tension. So there is nothing securing it.

  10. #10lantraxco2015-10-03 13:32

    Right, just slips into a recess in the spring cap. It may have a slight taper to it, I can't remember.