I have a John Deere 450b dozer that won't start. I've had electrical issues in the past and I just had the starter rebuilt. After putting the starter back on (what a pain on these dozers). The dozer now won't start it cranks fine but it won't start even with starting fluid it won't fire once. If any one had any insight I'd appreciate.
The wiring on these dozers are pretty frail at their age, are you getting power to the inj. pump? It should click when you turn the key on, if not look for a missed wire that goes on the bat. stud on the starter. You can try a jumper wire to the post on the inj. pump to see if it will start, if it does, you know what to look for then. The right length extension makes all the difference when getting to that bottom bolt.
Probably have an issue with the shutoff solenoid in the injection pump not getting 12 volts. Check with a test light or meter, and also if possible have someone turn the key on and off with your hand on the top cover of the injection pump, you should be able to feel the solenoid click in and out. As I recall the starter and fuel pump are on the same side, maybe you pulled a wire off or crimped it somewhere. May be an inline fuse for that also, I can't remember. It's been my experience you need a little diesel from the injectors to get them to pop, starting fluid alone doesn't seem to want to light like a gas engine will. Most of the old 450's had a slot cut in the side frame, per factory service bulletin, so you get get #$%&@@@!! bolt number three out and back in on that starter. On more than one occasion I have dismantled a starter from the backplate to the nosecone on a Deere to get it out, installing never seemed to be as hard.
@twitt733, Like repowerguy and lantraxo said... more than likely your fuel solenoid either not getting power(most likely) or bad solenoid... and yes you could crank it til the cows come home but without some actual fuel getting through it won't fire over. on the 450B there is a wiring harness/plug on the top center back of the dash that can get corroded, access by pulling the hood to make it easier... unless someone has already rerouted the wires and hacked things up.
Thanks for the information. I can hear inj. Pump come on and I have tried putting a jumper on the pump. I don't believe it is the pump as even trying to get it to fire with a shot of starting fluid causes nothing.
We may be wrong, but most diesel engines won't start on just starting fluid, they need some diesel from the injectors to ignite on. Crack the lines on a couple injectors, see if you get fuel squirts when you crank it. Keep your hands and face clear, don't want fuel injected under the skin.
You said you put a starter on, check and see if you didn't accidently lock the fuel pump hand primer lever in the up position, if it is it will starve the inj. pump for fuel.
I have a 450 John Deere dozer that has been repainted and I can't find any B or C or anything but 450. The only numbers I can find are 5F 314. I don't know if that helps identify it or not. I am needing a Rops and an angle cylinder for it and you seemed knowledgeable about John Deere, so I was hoping maybe you could help me identify it. would appreciate any help you can give me.
Could the rebuilder have switched rotation on the starter??
^^ stranger things have happened easy to check just make sure the fan is spinning the correct way while cranking... assuming it spinning correct before
Have seen this in ag stuff years ago.