Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jd 450c

Knowlzy · 2019-08-01 08:53

i have a jd 450c. while pushing it will go until you have enough material to spin the tracks. as soon as you hit the clutch it stops and has no more power. if i back up about 10 feet and go forward again it gets the power back. any thoughts?

Replies9
  1. #1mg23612019-08-01 18:34

    Clutch adjustment. That machine has a mechanical clutch adjustment as well as a hydraulic clutch adjustment. I betting on the hydraulic portion not being adjusted properly. Too much to explain on that one. Do you have a service manual. If not I would suggest getting one (TM1102).

  2. #2old-iron-habit2019-08-01 23:39

    I would bet some dimes that you hit the nail on the head on this one. If someone has tried to adjust it in the past without following the service manual it is probably fooberd for sure. It is a very sequenced process but not all that difficult with the manual. You clutch also has two positions on it. Half way releases the hydraulic portion, full pedal releases the main clutch for shifting the main box.

  3. #3mg23612019-08-02 04:08

    Oh, and by the way, Welcome to HEF Knowlzy !

  4. #4Don k2019-08-02 07:51

    I don't understand what you mean by "hitting the clutch". The foot clutch is just used to change gears 1 thru 4. Everything else is done through the H-L-R lever.

  5. #5Knowlzy2019-08-05 12:48

    Thanks everyone, i need to get the manual.

  6. #6old-iron-habit2019-08-05 23:01

    Although you don't need it to shift, the half position on your clutch releases the H-L-R portion of the power train. Full in stops the main transmission and everything. Half position is handy if using a loader machine or if winching or any operation when you want to stop the forward or reverse motion of the machine without stopping the PTO or having to hold the brake against the power shift. The PTO is live only when the main transmission portion of the clutch is engaged.

  7. #7Dgreen42982019-09-07 22:30

    I have the operators and maintenance manual for this machine and it does not explain how to operate the clutch and h-l-r at all. It does say that the half position of the clutch releases the hlr but are you supposed to use it when going from forward to reverse, I don’t know. I pretty much only use the half clutch when I have to stop real fast otherwise I shift the hlr into neutral to change direction.

  8. #8mg23612019-09-08 05:46

    When the clutch and the rate of shift screw are adjusted properly you should be able to make full rpm "no clutch" shifts from forward to reverse.

  9. #9redneckracin2019-09-08 09:00

    Yupp full speed shifts, only time I used the clutch was to change 1-4.