I just purchased a 1982 JD450C with 6 way blade from a farmer. (1) The dozer stopped moving under its own power. I checked the pressure and got 170 in the HLR and the dozer moved a few feet; however, it stopped again and the pressure went away. I tried to adjust the clutch pedal to get the free play; however, all I get is free play and have adjusted from one end to the other as well as adjusted the nut inside the bell housing. I can push the clutch pedal in with my hand and never get to a point where it feels like I am actually pushing the clutch plate open. Does this sound like the clutch is just completely shot? I would imagine if I couldn't push the clutch all the way down to the floor board if actually felt the clutch pressure plate disengage the clutch. (2) The neutral safety switch actually doesn't start in neutral and you have to have the dozer in any HLR gear to start. The farmer said he bought the wrong switch an installed, does that sound correct as I was reading the service manual and it mentioned adding shims until it actually would start in neutral. Does that sound correct or could the farmer have purchased an incorrect switch.
If you can push in the clutch and change gears the clutch is working. There should be quite a bit of resistance after the free play in the clutch pedal because you are compressing the fingers in the pressure plate. I will have to lok in my book to go over this. I have over the years replaced my clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate, clutch control rod, HLR clutch pack and that is just for the transmission part. As for the neutral safety switch I will also have to look.
There is a detailed procedure to adjust the clutch and the HLR function. Pushing the clutch half way in will disconnect the HLR powershift function while pushing it all the way to the floor will stop the main clutch to shift gears. If the clutch adjustment is not done in the proper sequence and correctly it will slip or not work at all. When I bought my machine it had a new clutch installed by the dealer that was adjusted improperly. After reading the book I adjusted it and used it for years. Unfortunately I do not have my books anymore as they went with the machine when I sold it.
I have a 450B manual..imagine procedure same/similar. Maybe this will help w clutch adjustment? DB
Don, that appears to be a part of the problem, I don't feel any hard resistance. It feels the exact same all the way thru to the floor board. I have adjusted to where the clutch pedal won't even reach the fire wall but still no difference in feeling. It seems the clutch was partially engaging somewhat for a few seconds and the dozer wanted to move but then broke loose as if I pushed in the clutch. Do you know of a good online store to purchase JD parts...i.e., clutch, etc?
Thanks Old-Iron-Habit, I purchased the books and tried to get the 3.75" freeplay that the book suggest but to no avail. I think I am just gonna pull the engine pack and look inside to see what it going on. As I really do not feel the pressure plate resistance that I think I should. I can push the clutch pedal all the way with only my thumb and forefinger. I don't think it should be that easy. Am I correct? Do you know of a good online store to purchase JD parts...i.e., clutch, etc?
Thanks Labparamour. I did purchase the books and tried that already. Do you know of a good online store to purchase new JD parts?
Merry Christmas. I hope you have an "easy" repair (I know, it's all relative). http://www.jdcrawlers.com/ Deere crawler forum. Lavoy (site administrator) stocks some parts…mostly older crawlers. http://www.fpsmitheq.com/ FP Smith http://www.nyssatractor.com/ Nyssa Tractor. I've bought engine stuff from them- largely ag salvage yard. Darryl
Thx Darryl & Merry Christmas.
My machine, actually a 455 loader version was very reliable, and once I got the clutch adjustment into spec it sheared trees as a feller buncher for years with really nothing but oil and filters. I often think I should have kept it. It was equipped with the tree shear, 4 in 1 bucket, winch, and grouser pads for traction in the woods. I often think it would be handy to still have around. I do not know of any on line parts outlets for JD. Keep us posted on what you find.
I bought most of the parts from Gulf South Equipment Sales. A few things I had to get from J.D.
Looks in that hole next to the clutch pedal and you should be able to see what is going on if memory serves me correctly.