Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 450G fuel tank problems

AlumCreek ยท 2014-08-22 11:25

Anyone familiar with the JD 450 fuel tank? Dozer runs fine then loses power and shuts down. Replaced filters. Checked lines. Finally figured out something was stopping up the fuel flow from inside the fuel tank. Took off the hose at the bottom of the tank and blew air up into the tank. Bingo, dozer runs fine for about 30 minutes then does it again. Stop, blow it out and runs fine for another 30 minutes then same thing. Am I going to have to take tank off and drain it to try and get whatever it is out? Isn't there baffles inside the tank? What about changing out the strainer at the bottom of the tank. Has anyone done this before? HELP!

Replies7
  1. #1Deeretracks2014-08-22 11:43

    I would drain the tank, pull the bottom strainer out then try to flush any debris out while the strainer is removed. Clean the strainer and reinstall it.

  2. #2AlumCreek2014-08-22 11:47

    Thanks, I will try that. How do you pull the strainer out?

  3. #3Delmer2014-08-22 12:21

    Remove the fitting that the fuel line hooks to, and you should see how the strainer comes out. How you clean it depends on what you have inside, could be leaves, bugs, "algae"??? A vacuum cleaner, or Willie's "suck bucket", is sometimes easiest.

  4. #4AlumCreek2014-08-22 12:36

    Did that and can see the strainer but no way to get it out unless I punch it thru. Can't grab on to it or unscrew it. Guess I can punch it out and turn the tank over and hopefully it will fall out? Hopefully those baffles will let it come out. Any other suggestions and THANKS!!!!

  5. #5Delmer2014-08-22 13:38

    Sorry, it LOOKS like it should pull out. Can you get your pinkie finger in and wiggle it loose? or whittle a piece of wood that will slip in but grab just a little. Or wait, and Deeretracks will tell you how he's actually done it, instead of more guessing.

  6. #6Deeretracks2014-08-23 01:18

    It should just pull out the bottom once you remove the fitting IIRC. There are 2 styles used on the G models but it's been quite a while since I worked on one so I'm a bit foggy.

  7. #7vmaggio2014-09-05 12:48

    I have a JD 550G did and does the same thing. I have a thread about the same thing.