Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 450H safety sensor problems

Dwight Neil ยท 2022-07-08 09:07

I'm having some issues with my JD450H dozer. It got where it wouldn't turn over. Turning the ignition did nothing. I suspected the safety sensors under the drive handle. Had a guy check and he said the neutral switch was faulty, so he jumpered and bypassed it. Dozer cranked up perfectly... BUT won't engage forward or reverse. I suspect that the sensor he jumpered must not somehow be allowing the next sensor to determine that it's safe to move. I'm thinking I need to order a new sensor/switch to replace the one that had to be jumpered. Anyone have any experioence with this? By the way, the hydraulics work. Blade moves fine.

Replies1
  1. #1Dwight Neil2022-07-08 10:28

    I think I found something that seems to confirm my suspicion. The tech manual states "The machine will not move because the FNR lever is in neutral(neutral start switch closed)"... "When the FNR lever is shifted out of Neutral to Forward or Reverse, the neutral start switch is opened...". So by jumpering the harness wires of the neutral start switch, the engine cranks, but won't move because the system detects the neutral start switch is still closed. To test, I could probably jumper it to crank, then unjumper it and move the lever. Certainly wouldn't operate it this way though!