Hello, Great Site. I am in need of some professional advise. I am building a Motocross track on my property and am tore between the multipurpose tracked skidsteer with its many optional attachments vs. a JD 450J. I am going to have a 850 come in move the big dirt around where it needs to be. I need to be able to build and more importantly maintain the track. The dozer would be perfect but only limited in use on the farm. I am not sure having never owned a tracked skid steer if they have the ability too move and maintain a natural terrian cousre. I have looked at ASV 100, JD 333D , and CAT models. Any thoughts welcome. thanks
As a motorcross racer and dirt guy i would chose the tracked skid steer. I have built sveral tracks around here with dozers and rubbertired skd strs but always wanted a tracked skd str.
i build about 10 -15 tracks a year and maintain my personal 1.4 mile outdoor track. if you are talking about more of an outdoor style with elevation changes and natural jumps, a dozer would suit you better for sure. more sx style a track loader would be better. i have a deere 550j and a new holland c185. i hardly ever take the track loader out on the track other than to re face some of the jumps in the sx section or to move dirt. as far as which track machine would be the best i prefer the deer or new holland for working on the faces of jumps. they can track up just about anything. i absolutely hate building whoop sections with a track loader. maybe consider a rubber tire machine with tracks.
Thanks so far for the comments. The track is mostly natural rolling hill terrian and i will incorporate a few doubles, triples and tabletops. Still looking for more on JD 450J vs tracked skidsteer.......About 2.8 miles in length with one 65 degree down hill thats probably close to 100 yards long and stright back up again.
before i bought my 550 i had a 450j on rent for a couple months. that was also about the time i got the c185. the 185 and the 450 would push about the same amount of dirt. a skid will probably move material faster. the dozer is going to be better on the hill and will be a lot easier to cut fill and shape berms and jumps and cut any swales for drainage. the dozer will also be a lot better to pack the jumps because it will be close to double the weight. if you arent going to be changing the track a lot the skid would be faster to just hop on and fix ruts and faces. as far as comparing machine to machine they each have their benifits. where in Pa are you from?
I'm in Northeastern Pa. The (CPL) Compact track loaders looks like a great machine but maybe a little light for my application. The dozer is limited in usage but i am mostly concerned about building and maintaining the track. Where in Ohio you from. I just hate to spend the money on either and then not be happy and i am not rich or lucky enough to have both.............Those C185 look sweet
im from northeast ohio. a C185 is a new holland track loader. are you looking at new machines or newer used? i would honestly take a dozer over the track loader to maintain my track any day. i usually have the fix up my track a couple times a week and i am always changing stuff and 90% of it i do with the dozer. the only reason i use anything else is because the dozer would be on a job. i have some pictures of some of the tracks i will try to post
Track pictures would be cool to see. Thanks for the help. I think the 450 would be great too. Looks like i'll going with the dozer. I looked up your C185 and that is very cool machine too. Maybe someday i can get a good used one. The JD450 J LT is a 2006 with low hours , not new but real close in my opinion.........thanks again you have been a helpful. Show me those track pictures and come ride this summer.
I wouls suggest going to ur cat dealer and rentin a 299c its a big track skid steer, we recently demoed one it would wrk perfect for what ur lookin to do, little on the pricy side tho
i pretty much agree with the above......skid will be much faster/nimble in my opinion for the light dressing and detailed work......cutting and filling and packing needs more weight/machine........i have one track we have 2 skidsteers ....a D4H (6way)....2 cat 416C 4wd hoes...and a large and a small 4wd farm tractors with rakes and blades.....when we built it we used the hoes to pile dirt and shape...used the D4 to do cutting and cambers.....most maintenece is skid steer work with multiple buckets and implements.....i would think one of the large skids would probably be the best comprimise
I think I'd rent one of each for a month and see which you liked better. That 65 degree slope is what has me concerned for a new operator on either machine. The dozer would save you the most money if your proficent with it because you could do the finish the track up and let the 850 just to the course work, but you could finish with the ctl too. In a perfect world, I'd buy the dozer and keep my eyes open for a rubber tired hoe.
my $0.02. Two things going on here. #1 - Building a track. If you are building a new track, you'll need the dozer. #2 - Maintaining an existing track. The tracked skid would be better for maintaining the track. I don't know what your money situation is, or what else you might do with the machines. If you're just going to use them around the farm, I'd say go with the skid. Rent a dozer to build your track and buy a BIG tracked skid to maintain it/use around the farm.