Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 490 engine removal

Alan King · 2023-11-18 08:59

I am going to remove the engine from my 490. It has a lot of hours on it (27000) and is leaking anti freeze into the crankcase. I want to take it into my heated shop so I can spend some time on it this winter. It looks easy to remove but my question is, do I leave the pump on the engine or is it better to unbolt the pump and leave it in the machine? I have a bridge crane in my workshop and lots of other equipment to lift the engine out. Al

Replies6
  1. #156wrench2023-11-18 09:42

    If you can get at the bolts and there is enough room to pull the engine off the pump splines, i would leave the pump in. A lot less mess that way and you don’t have to purge the air out of the hyd system when you reassemble

  2. #2Diesel Dave2023-11-18 09:46

    On most Deere excavators we left the hydraulic pump chained up and hanging from a steel bar resting on the counterweight and across to the sheet metal framework. The engine will have to move towards the radiator about 3 -4 inches to separate from the pump drive coupling.

  3. #3Alan King2023-11-18 11:13

    Thanks Guys, I will hang it off the frame and leave everything connected. I have everything else disconnected and will probably have the engine out later this afternoon. This engine has been leaking coolant into the oil for a long time. I bought it cheap at an auction 23 years ago. I'm sure it was in the auction because of the leak. It had a new cylinder head and a new rad, so I figure someone overheated it really badly and probably cooked the seals. I replaced the head gasket 12 years ago and the cylinders were badly worn then. I think there is at least a 16th of an inch ring groove back then. Funny thing is it runs good, starts easily in cold weather and doesn't burn oil, it's amazing. I will replace the cylinders and pistons. I know you can do it in frame but I want to examine it closely where I have time to work on it properly. Al

  4. #456wrench2023-11-19 09:38

    Carefully check the lower counterbores in the block where the liner o-rings seal. They may need some repair

  5. #5mg23612023-11-20 06:14

    The most likely issue is pitting on the liners.

  6. #6Alan King2023-11-20 08:08

    I will carefully examine everything when I get it apart. I have everything unbolted and it's ready to lift out. Family obligations got in the way and it may be a few days before I start working on the engine. This is a winter project. I also intend to replace track motor and brake seals and rebuild the bucket cylinder and the bucket quick attach.