Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 490 engine replacement options

Ruger_556 ยท 2019-05-04 12:42

Trying to locate a replacement engine for a JD 490 with a 4239T engine, the block is cracked and the only reusable parts are 3 connecting rods and the cam so rebuilding it isn't a viable option. The only reman I've been able to find was $13,000 ~ which is a little high given the value of the machine. Are there any other options? I've been told a 4045 will bolt in but I'm not sure of that, I've had no luck locating a used running engine either, only ones I can find are non turbo engines. So far I've checked All States Ag Parts, Ebay, Craigslist, and several dealers, are there any other options I don't know about?

Replies5
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-05-04 15:29

    https://www.truckntrailer.com/inventory/parts/?cat=engine&subcat=engine-assembly&make=john deere Another one. https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-attachment/for-sale/31287399/deere-4239t

  2. #2Delmer2019-05-04 19:52

    I'd watch auctions for an air compressor or generator with a compatible engine. I wouldn't be surprised if a 4-276 would bolt up, the 4045 might be the same pattern and mounts, might be just a different label for all I know?

  3. #3excavator2019-05-04 21:24

    As far as I know the 4239 became the 4039 and the 4276 became to 4045. The 4039 should be pretty much a drop in. The 4045 might raise a few issues. Is it a straight 490 or a D or E model? In just googling 4239/4039 I saw a complete rebuild for $4500.00, I'm sure you can do much better than $13,000.00.

  4. #4Ruger_5562019-05-04 23:01

    It's a straight 490. I can fix the engine I have but I'd be buying every part on the engine and building one, even with the used block I found I'd be at $6500 in parts before my labor.

  5. #5excavator2019-05-04 23:30

    It's been a while since I've seen a straight 490, it shuts off with a pull cable, correct? That would make a difference in the injection pump, most engines you find are likely going to have an electric shutoff solenoid in the pump.