Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 490 Excavator 1988

bobsmith ยท 2009-04-05 14:59

Have a JD 490 Excavator that the Center Pivot Joint Seals are bad. I have the Center Pivot removed from the machine but can't seem to get it apart! Took the bottom plate off and the ball bearings out but can't get the housing off the shaft to replace the "O" Rings. Should I try pushing it out with a arbor press? I'm worried about damaging something by doing this because the ball bearings are still in the other side> Could someone explain how to take this apart? I have the Tech/Service manual for this machine but it has nothing on the center pivot! Every other part but this one! Go figure! Thanks Bob Smith

Replies11
  1. #1willie592009-04-05 21:37

    Wow, I've taken apart several rotary joints before, but admittedly not a JD490, I haven't seen ball bearings in one before. The one's I've taken apart are either held together with snap rings or spiral retaining rings. Get out your cell phone camera and get us some pics of this.

  2. #2bobsmith2009-04-05 22:35

    JD 490 Excavator Here is a breakdown of the center joint from the JD Parts Catalog on line. Mine looks just like this one. It looks like it should just pull out of the housing to me? Just don't want to force it and mess up something. Bob Smith

  3. #3willie592009-04-05 23:02

    It doesn't look too bad. If you've removed item #5, flip it upside down and press #15 out of item #3. But that's just what I see in the illustration.

  4. #4ManhattanDJE2009-04-07 17:24

    Where did you get that breakdown diagram? Do you happen to have a diagram of the final drive for this machine also i think i have a bad seal it's leaking really bad.

  5. #5Kgmz2009-04-07 22:20

    Deere website http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/parts/index.html Look at the right upper side where it says "View Parts Catalog". A new window will pop up, and then input your model number in the model box.

  6. #6bobsmith2009-04-07 23:48

    Manhattan DJE I got it from the John Deere Web site Go to Deere web site click on construction equipment, then click on View Parts catalog put in you machine model, click on alpabetical search click on "F" for final drive look through till you find it. Also I have a JD Teck manual for this machine if you would like I could scan you the pages on the final drive and e-mail them to you.

  7. #7Dwan Hall2009-04-08 01:53

    Welcome ManhattanDJE, Glad to have you aboard.

  8. #8stock2009-04-08 03:32

    wrong place for this

  9. #9ManhattanDJE2009-04-08 05:15

    Thanks for that input guys. Has any one had the same problem i'm having with it leaking? What it the bad part? I've heard of a seal going bad and then a bearing going bad but once that bearing goes bad it could actually eat and grind into the housing and ruin the what the bearing and seal seat on and end up costing more money than the machin is worth, is this true?

  10. #10kato2009-09-16 08:42

    Thanks for the info on the JD parts web site.Now if I may ask can you advise on where you can get parts for the 490....P>S I am not trying to hijack this thread....Thanks

  11. #11Willis Bushogin2009-09-16 09:02

    final drive I did have the same thing happen to me, but on a Komastu excavator. The bearings went out and messed the hub up. It wouldnt hold oil, I finally ended up filling the area/cavity with grease and working the machine. I traded it in on another unit. Hope this didnt happen to yours