Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 490E track adjuster problem

adame ยท 2012-04-21 11:00

So I went to use my machine today and when I was giving it the "once over" I noticed that one of the tracks was too loose. I went to pump it up and found that it wasn't pumping up. The previous owner had the undercarriage re-done, so I'm kinda surprised that the adjuster seems to have failed. I'm mechanically inclined, and not afraid to tackle projects, but I'm also looking to get going on my own site work in the next few weeks and time is an issue. I've also never taken a track off a machine before and find the idea slightly intimidating. Can anyone give suggestions on how to repair this? Should I just hire it out? (I'm not rich, but can afford to have someone else do it if that's the smarter thing to do.) If that's the smart thing to do how much do you think this will set me back? Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1willie592012-04-21 12:21

    Well adame, couple of thoughts come to mind, 1) 490E, I think that's a 200 size excavator, not little, but not that big either, not bad to handle if you have mechanical skills and some equipment to work with, and 2) it's not necessary in all cases, but for a small contractor who owns equipment, at times it's good for the wallet to be able to do your own repairs, and when your talking about tracks, it's really good to have some experience taking them off for repairs and being able to put one back on as well, flipping a track while on a jobsite is a common occurrence, it's good to know how to get the track back on. Doing a track adjuster seal is not that bad, but it really helps if you have some back work equipment, like a forklift or skid steer with forks. First, swing machine so that boom is perpendicular to bum track side, carefully loosen (not fully remove) grease adjuster until grease starts flowing out, use forks under track chain to lift top track, this will put tension on front idler, force it in, and force grease out of track adjuster. Continue lifting track until front idler is pushed in fully and no more grease flows from grease adjuster valve. Swing machine so boom is over front idlers, parallel with tracks, lift front idlers off ground using boom. You don't have to raise machine very far, just enough for track chain to clear flanges of bottom rollers and rock guards. Position forklift at front of track, coming in at slight outboard angle. Hook some chains to track pads, back forklift up to put pulling tension on track and pull track away from idler guide flange, may require a little help with pry bars in a few spots. Once you get track chain off idler, re-position to put pulling tension on track and to be able to back up and put side pull pressure on track to put it outward from idler. You'll have to flip track chain from top guide rollers with long pinch bar while doing this, may have to lift machine with boom a bit more as bottom of track needs to clear bottom rollers, but you won't have to go so far to pull track from drive sprocket. Pull track sideways just enough for idler to clear track pads. Once you get the track out of the way, grab a hold of front idler with chains and pull it out with forklift. It may bring track tensioner along with it, may not, only bring out chrome adjuster rod. If so, might have to yank adjuster assembly out, a little work, but not too bad. Once you get all this iron out, pretty simple replacing u-cup seal for adjuster and opportunity to inspect adjuster parts, condition of chrome rod, etc. One thing to keep in mind, do not mess with big nut at rear of adjuster assy where grease adjusting valve is.

  2. #2adame2012-04-21 14:18

    Wow, thanks for the great reply Willie! I guess I've gotta think this through. I'm just a homeowner doing my own site work. (I run equipment at work, but can't bring it home. Also have full time mechanics at work, so anything beyond grease and oil changes falls on them.) I could rent a skidsteer with forks for a day and hope that I get it done. It might be cheaper and easier in the long run to hire it out. Especially since I need dirt moved in the next few weeks and need to get going on finishing my driveway. Kind of a bummer- not that this is a huge deal, but this has been a nice machine for me and for it's age is in great shape. Hopefully this is the only bump in the road for the next 50-60 hours of run time. After that it's for sale. Do you think it's only a seal? Or could it be worse? Thanks!

  3. #3willie592012-04-21 17:01

    One of those things you have no way of knowing until you get it apart.