Hello, I bought this loader a few months back and had nothing but trouble with it. I figured it was the cold weather causing most of it,but now that its warm out I 'm having the same problem. After I finally get the engine to run( that is another topic),It takes forever to get transmission to "engage". Seems like to only way to get it to go is shift from R to L with a lot of throttle. the pressure gauge dips in the low pressure range right after i shift it but picks up to normal range fast. After it does this warm up period the loader acts like it should. I have search the internet all over and there is very little info out there on this loader. I feel as if the world does not want me to fix this thing. I have the service manual for it and it really only gives procedures to take things apart and replace and not diagnose. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Which type of transmission is fitted? ZF 4WG120 or something else?
Bigbert , It’s a TT2000 series Allison transmission . Gnarles, sounds like the clutch apply pressure is proper and reacting as it should . Could be a leaking torque converter. Drain your transmission oil and look for any contamination, dull grey oil colour is generally aluminum indicating converter trouble. Cut the transmission filter apart too, see what’s in the pleats of the filter paper.
Hello guys I'm not sure what trans it is my manual talks about 4 forward speeds and 2 reverse speeds. My loader has R,N,L,&H. My manual is the Technical Manual not Service Manual,which is part of my problem. Any online source for working on these things? I am not too much of a stranger of the wrench,but I am however new to big heavey stuff,and dont know the "go to"sources of info. By far this is the only websight I have ever gotten good info from.
Here's the first thng you want to be doing IMHO. Yes I know this is an engine oil filter but the principle is the same. Also while you're in there, is the oil clear & bright or dark & cloudy.? Does it smell burned.?
If you have the manual for a 544B, Book #TM1094, then the diagnostic section is in the back of the book under system testing. What specific manual do you have?
Have you checked to make sure the transmission oil isn't low?
And nobody has asked so far exactly what oil is in the transmission.? So I will.............
What’s in it for oil ? the OP may be able tell us. The transmission oil is supposed to be Low viscosity Hygard.
With his description of the symptoms when the system is cold I was wondering if it was in fact something much heavier.
Hello Guys What is in it for oil? At the moment I am not sure. It really looks clean and I have checked level and it is half way between Mark's on the stick cold. I have read it needs to be at full mark cold. Manual says to use JD Torque-Converter fluid typeC-3. It also says not to use JD Hy-Gard Oil in transmission.
That's the manual I have. I am guilty of not looking over it very well. Thank you for steering me right.
I need to get some filters ordered for this thing and get the right oil. then I can cut that filter apart and see what it looks like. I'm going to try get ahold of previous owner and see if he changed it recently and if he remembers what oil he used. It really does look clean. Maybe too heavy of an oil. Hmm Thank you guys for all the help. I'm sure I'll be back with more stupid questions.
I believe that is Dexron III.
I use dextron III in my Allison tt-2421-1
I have been fixing things and running the loader around the place and it seems to be getting better in many ways. I can start it easy now,the pick up screen was kind of dirty.Changed both air filters.It didn't take forever for the transmission to engage. It seemed like when I would use the clutch brake pedal while warming it up it would engage like normal.Well I finally changed filter and oil in the transmission today and wouldn't you know it. A little pressure on the trans gauge and no go. clutch pedal kind of pulsates. It move a little at first try but then nothing. I had a leak on some external line on the rear of tranny before I drained it. Fixed that leak, filled up trans with j20a and put a new filter in. I'm lost now. Seems like something needs to be bled,but I don't know.Any words of wisdom?TIA
Is the clutch cutoff circuit misbehaving? Push the clutch control knob in. Does the issue go away?
Mg2361, Pushed valve in and presto! I got pressure on the gauge and movement. Felt kind of weird though. Brakes where dragging,so back to my manual. Accumulator assist must be working. I had that leaking fitting when I parked the machine for fluid change. Must have triggered the low pressure check valve. So any way I pumped brakes a few thousand times and pushed the clutch brake valve a few and I'm back in action. Thank you guys for the help. I need a nudge once in a while. I do have faith in this old machine as I have operated many a lot worse shape than this one. I figure it should suit me for a long time after I get all the bug chases away.