new to this fourm .just wanted to know if anyone has every had a 544 G that would not shift out of 2nd gear any ideas to check.
Any lights or other behavior? hows the trans fluid level? I'd check the linkages first.
dragboat1 I will know more tomorrow thank you for reply. I will ck all of that.
Zf trans, speed sensor on upper left side of trans, ( I think) check wiring below shifter. Some times harness gets loose & rubs on steering wheel shaft.
Hello quackattak, is this a box with EST19 or EST26? If EST26 it is more likely the output speed sensor located close to output prop shaft towards articulation. Check connector, sensor, cables. Bigbert
Yes Bigbert, it should be the 19 or 26. I don't work on them all that much anymore. The H models give you live data so you can see if speed sensors are working. If speed sensor is bad it will not shift past 2nd. And good point, always check wiring.
hi, was this ever solved? I have a 1995GTC that I picked up this past fall in plans of plowing snow with in central Maine. I ran it around a few times moving gravel and it worked fine (outside temps were around 60ish F) . Shifted fine through all 4 gears, the first time I went to plow snow with it, it won't up shift out of 2nd. (outside temps around 20ish) I checked wiring to the sensor it looks fine. I cant get the plug to unscrew from the sensor without damaging it. I don't want to replace it if chances are they fail only in the cold. Its been sub temps now, I don't expect it to be above freezing until end of March. I'll try replacing it if someone had the same issue and a new sensor fixed it, but these are over $300 new so additional data would be great. any suggestions?
I've got 3 544GTC @ over 20k hours each. I've never put in a speed sensor. #1 fault is transmission oil level. Start machine. Cycle f-n-r a few times. Pull transmission stick and leave out for 30 seconds. Check level twice. Mine always leak at the trans cooler hose clamps. And, the dipstick tube has no breather, so you have to wait for the level to stabilize before reinserting the dipstick.
I assume the 544GTC got a ZF 4WG120 or 150. With TCU box EST25? The gear selector usually got four positions, 1=1st manual, 2=2 manual, 3=3 manual, 4= auto 2-4. When starting from ignition OFF, then ignition ON, engine start, gear selector in 3rd: Transmission will stay in 2nd? Or does the issue only occur in position 4? The guys above are right, with a faulty output speed sensor EST will not shift above 2nd. Check wires from TCU to sensor itself.
thanks for the responses. the GTC I have has the gear selector as listed above. "gear selector usually got four positions, 1=1st manual, 2=2 manual, 3=3 manual, 4= auto 2-4." Unfortunately I'm not where the machine is now and wont' be for a while. But I'll check the trans fluid as heymccall suggested. I am curious though why this would keep it from upshifting? is there another sensor in the tranny that detects level? or is the tranny starving for fluid to make the shift? I have not noticed any leaks. I park in indoors on concreate and I would notice if it was leaking hyd oil. But not the less I will check and and get back with my findings. thanks again.
Hi again, thanks for interim info. One of the first jobs on a powershift tranny with issues is fluid level check. However, you are right, I also see no reason why too low or high level should keep tranny in 2nd. Too low would end up in a noisy pump due to air suction. Too high would lead to low drive performance in high gears and foaming oil. There is no sensor detecting oil level. As far as I recall the EST25 - as soon as a faulty output speed sensor was detected and you move gear switch in auto from N to F after startup - will shift into 4 and shift down to 3 and 2 after a few seconds.
im headed back to up to my camp where the loader is kept this week. I'll bring up some tranny hyd fluid with me incase there's none up there. I know I've checked it several times but in all honestly I've always checked is cold and not running. Should i be checking it with it running in neutral and after running in into forward and rev a few times???? I never thought of checking it running like a tranny that has as torque converter in it because I was under the belief that the torque converters went away with the TT (twin torque converter) style trannys that only had the high and low selector. I've been searching around for the sensor in case I end up needing one. Almost $400 for a new one and can't find it in stock anywhere. $200 for used one but I don't get a warm and fuzzy for putting in a used one in sub zero conditions. Based on the location being low on the side of the tranny I assume I'll have to drain it or have quick hands to swap the bad sensor and the new while oil is pouring from the hole. Does anyone know if the sensor is inside the oil level of the tranny? thanks
Fluid level is checked with the transmission warmed up and at idle.
Hi panheads..., see the images attached. It is a 4WG200, however pretty much similar to little sister. Sensor closer to t/c is turbine speed (possibly not fitted), output closer to back of t/m. Speed sensors are far away from oil level.
i checked the level after running the machine for a while and running it in and our of forward and rev. it was a tad low but not much so I added a bit of fluid. No help. outside temp warmed up to about 40 ish while I was plowing so I've ruled out any condensation being frozen in the system. I've got more plowing to do today but I plan on seeing if i can get the connector off the ground speed sensor today and check the connections for crud. then check the signals coming from the gear selector switch. My tranny looks different than the pics above. I'm thinking if I have to replace it fluid is most likely going to pour out but I'll let you know if it comes to needing to replace it.
Hi panheadsforever, thanks for info. Could you share a picture of t/m type plate or sight to sensors? The t/m speed sensor (2) in your picture looks like the sensor for tachometer, the magnetic pickup (5) is the right one. what happens with gear switch in position 3? Stays in 2nd?
Agreed Bigbert, the sensor in question is item (5). I tried removing the circular nut from the sensor today but it's corroded on tighter than a ducks ass and that's water tight. Might as well be welded on, I'm sure I'll destroy it getting it off so I'll wait until I have replacement parts. The round knurled nut encapsulates a rubber plug so as soon as I put a bit of heat to it I get flames everywhere.. not so good. PB Blaster didn't help. I pulled the electrical connections from the bottom of the steering column and I get good signal feed back from the speed selector. The supply voltage wire is shared with the forward, neutral, and reverse switch, and there's only three signals that come back for the gear selector, one for 1st, one for 2nd and one for 3rd, the computer must assume a 0 signal is Drive. Just for reference there are three feedbacks, one each for forward, neutral and reverse. At this point I'm going to order a new speed sensor and new plug. I can cut the cord and put a socket right over the rusted on nut and onto the sensor body to remove it. IDK how long it will take to arrive but I'll post if it fixes the issue. Thanks for your feedbacks.
well I finally got the part and was able to replace the speed sensor. The knurled nut holding the plug on was tighter that a ducks *** and I had to tap the edges of it with a cold chisel to get it started. then vise gripped it the rest of the way out. I used the old shims from the original sensor. They were stuck on pretty good but a little break free and some tapping loosened them up. I didn't find any seal as called out in the manual and it appeared to have some type of lock tight or sealant up next to the shims so I gave the new sensor a nice coat of pipe dope thread sealer and re installed it. I also cleaned the inside of the plug terminals as they looked a bit corroded. BTW about 2 gals of tranny fluid comes out once the sensor is removed so have that section of the tranny wiped clean and a clean bucket if you plan to save the fluid. The loader shift like a dream again.. Sooo Sooo happy : ) hope this helps anyone else having the same issue. I bought the sensor at peri-parts.com
Hi panhead, congratulations....and thanks for feedback. It is very helpful for many HEF members and supporters to see and read if assumptions, hints and proposals work.