Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 544A Steering Problems

UR12 · 2016-11-18 10:48

When steering the machine it will turn fine to the right, but from a right hand turn you go to articulate left and it turns fine until the machine is straight and then slows down and sounds like it is laboring/by passing oil. I have looked for leaks and don't see any. Does any one have a suggestion on where to start trying to fix this.

Replies6
  1. #1lantraxco2016-11-18 13:29

    Start with the Right hand cylinder piston seals.... The Left cylinder on those I believe only pushes to go right, the Right cylinder is a push/pull. Pressure may be down also.

  2. #2UR122016-11-18 23:23

    you are correct the right cylinder does both functions. I am currently trying to decifer the manual on how and where to check the pressure on the pump. The manual also says that internal leakage the be indicated by heating of the pressure inlet line and the return line accompanied by the sound of rushing oil. I am trying to figure out where these lines are located. I repack both cylinders not to long ago because it was synchronizing when sitting at an idle, but it didn't help. It wasn't that bad so I just put up with it. This is quite annoying because the left turn takes forever, and I am afraid that I am damaging by continuing to run it. I read a post by oldiron that was reffering to a steering problem cause by aluminum filings form the because they have the same pump, which is kind rings a bell because I had a bad torque bearing but caught it before it totally screwed the torque. Still scratching my head before pulling wrenches.

  3. #3JTWAT2016-12-05 20:35

    I would think the pump pressure is ok if it is turning to the right with no problem. I would look at the steering valve.

  4. #4UR122016-12-06 00:51

    That is kind of what I am thinking. I am a little afraid of getting into steering valve, it seems to be pretty complicated and not really looking forward to finding out exactly how it works. The interesting thing is that I have continued to run it and the colder it is, it almost operates normally. I think that the thicker oil is not bypassing as quickly as when it is hot and the oil is more viscous. Does this help diagnose the problem? I really appreciate any feed back.

  5. #5Josh12342025-07-08 11:10

    Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your loader why it wouldn’t steer

  6. #6Diesel Dave2025-07-09 09:45

    @Josh1234 , UR12 has not been seen since Dec 2016. I suggest you start a new thread with details of the steering issue.