Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jd 550?

Alex Kingery ยท 2008-04-25 08:57

I just bought a 1980 550JD with a 6 way blade and a ripper. It has a new UC. This is my first dozer. Tell me what you guys think of the JD550. I want to know the good and bad about these dozers. I will only be doing really lite work with it. Clearing brush and pushing out old fence. I live in Iowa so it will be running in good black dirt. Please tell me everything you know about this rig. This forum rocks!

Replies8
  1. #1637slayer2008-04-25 11:31

    i work with a guy that has owned a 550 for quite a while, ive never seen it but he swears by it, every time i see him hes got another story about a project hes got goin on, ive never heard him say a bad thing about it.

  2. #2Alex Kingery2008-04-25 12:06

    That sounds great! I am really looking forward to doing some fun stuff with it.

  3. #3Alex Kingery2008-04-29 14:50

    Anyone have anything else to say about a JD550? Just looking to find out anything good or bad about these dozers. Please let me know what you think of the JD550's!

  4. #4OneWelder2008-04-29 17:48

    Keep up with trans maintenance. These were pretty good dozers with a very expensive trans.(made by Twin Disc) that has a troublesome history. Steering clutches sare a common reservoir with trans, the debris can cause trans , problem in a hurry. Also if steering is not functioning properly - expect trans problem

  5. #5OneWelder2008-04-29 18:05

    I did not write that very well . I am trying to say that the trans -bevel gear- steering clutches & brakes all share the same oil reservoir. There are about half dozen drain plugs underneath and they all need to drained. Filter for trans is under seat- a bit awkward to change but should be done- then cut a part- look for any metal particles in pleats

  6. #6EquipHead34582008-04-29 18:48

    I thought this might be of interest: 550JD with ATV backup support

  7. #7Alex Kingery2008-04-30 09:12

    Thanks for all the info. Right now the dozer steers easier to the left than the right. It's just a little sticky going to the right. This is a good looking rig and it has a new UC, pins, bushings and chain. The pads are 60% and it's a great running dozer. So what you are saying is sence I am having a little issue with the steering I may just be looking at a trans prob? Please tell me what to do. Will changing the trans fluid help with the steering? Should I do the trans asap or what. I just got the dozer last weekend and am really ready to try it out. Should I be looking at selling this dozer and looking for something else or are the 550s still a good enough rig to work for a farmer like me?

  8. #8OneWelder2008-04-30 13:50

    Check the filter under seat first, That is best indicater. I am not sure about "Sticky" - Do you mean lever (or pedal if you have a pedal steer) or do you mean brake does not work properly ? or clutch ? To clarify my earlier statement the machines I have seen with trans problems all have had steering problems- worn out clutches and or brakes.