Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 550j U/C

srjd ยท 2016-01-21 21:40

Going to look at a 2005 john deere 550j lt tomorrow. I don't currently have the serial number but it has about 2700 hrs on it. From the pics the sprockets looked a bit pointed. Just wondering what I need to all look for on the undercarriage to see if it's worth it. I don't want to go throwing money at it right away. If that's the case I'll find another. Is there any specific measurements I should look or any obvious visuals. Thanks.

Replies2
  1. #1guisep32016-01-21 22:00

    Look at the bushings on the chains. See if they have been turned or if they are badly worn on one or both sides. Next look at the carrier roller. If it's got a bad valley from the chain. Check the front idler, they usually last three longest in my experience. Sprockets aren't to expensive to replace. Check the bottom rollers for deep wear too. The segments can add up in cost, a new grouse on that size machine could be 2 inches+/ -. Lgp pads are more expensive. Visually check the sag in the track adjustment, from front idler to carrier roller then from carrier to sprocket. If the tracks have a dramatic sag or pick a reference from one track to the other. Measure the tracks against the two. If there's a difference, something is going on with the sloppier track.

  2. #2srjd2016-01-21 22:55

    Just from the pics it looks like the tracks are very tight. Maybe too tight?? Looks like no sag