I just obtained/inherited a jd 555a crawler. This is the first machine that I have have personally ever owned. I am not in the excavating business, I do metal fab, welding and repair work. I am trying to locate an operators manual for it. I had a service manual printed for it but it does not get into the very basic daily/weekly service procedures. I have just about got all the fluids changed or topped out but right now I am trying to locate where and how to check/change the oil level in the right and left drive clutches. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, I have really enjoyed exploring this site. Lots of really great stuff here!
I am not sure but I Think you probable have a 555 serial # will show 555A -I think that JD skipped the a model and went from 555 to b model - Steering clutches were supplied oil from trans on 555- In my opinion service on these is very important as brake and clutch debris can screw up the trans.
Jd 555 There's a few JD experts on the Yesterdays Tractor site,in the crawlers/loaders forum.There always seems to be problems with 1010/2010/350 machines...& I think I read a recent post about 555s.
I've got a 1980 555a-yeah, the operators manual has all the scheduled maintenance, maybe more than you think. I believe the part # for the manual is- OMT75124 D3. If you go to or call a John Deere (yellow - construction division) dealer, they can get you one. A must have if you're not an operator (like me). Final drives oil level is up to the fill plug opening when machine is level. Fill plug is next to track on back of machine and center of track (undercarriage). Happy maintenance!
Thanks woodworker,..I appreciate the info. I am definatly going to get the manual for the machine. I am not an operator either. I bougt the machine to move and level dirt around on my place as I get time. Thanks again......
You can also check out a site where I'm a member--JDcrawlers.com----has both the antiques era and the ''modern era'' which yours is.
Thanks tuney443,...That site looks like its got a lot of good info just for my specific machine!