Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 555G at auction: thoughts?

mfowler ยท 2013-06-01 01:42

Just want to say this forum is a great resource, sure could have used it twenty years ago when I was starting out. Oh well, nothing like the school of hard knocks. Going to look at a 555G with 4n1 and backhoe attachment, from the pictures it looks to be pretty straight. Would be used on a ranch/farm, not hired out. The 4n1 would be handy for moving rocks around, seems like it would be easier than with the D4E. They tend to get away on the slope and take off rolling down the hill, tired of chasing after them or watching them tear the bark off a walnut tree. Also useful for stacking brush piles for burning. I think the hoe would be useful also, digging the occasional water line and whatnot. Lots of steep ground here so rubber tired hoe would be somewhat limited, or spendy for a 4x4. Just looking for opinions on this machine and intended application. I read the thread on the 455G, I assume the 555 is similar,just a little bigger, which for me is fine. Thanks for any comments. Mike

Replies15
  1. #1tuney4432013-06-01 09:13

    Sounds like a good plan Mike.Being a Deere man,I say go for it.

  2. #2mfowler2013-06-02 14:08

    Thanks Tuney. I am not partial to any particular brand, but I like the Deere trackloaders quite a bit. What equipment do you have?

  3. #3Deere500a2013-06-02 16:03

    No time with the crawler but the motor 4045 is the same as the 310SE hoe, Here at home and its a good soild diesel . Sf Craigslist has a Cat 931 crack head 4/1 $2500.good luck

  4. #4buckfever2013-06-02 19:16

    We just sold our 555g. Had it for 15 years and put about 12000 hours on it. It ran great and moved a lot of dirt. Is this machine a direct drive version or the tourque converter model? Ours was a direct drive and it would use a lot less fuel then the tc models.

  5. #5mfowler2013-06-02 19:31

    Thanks for the tip Deere500a, I will check it out. I think Deere makes a good motor. buckfever, it looks like a PowerShift machine from the pics. I will only put 100-200 hours a year on whatever I get, maybe a bit more the first couple of years, so fuel consumption is important but not a major concern. I do like the ability to of PS to creepy crawl over rocks without banging the heck out of machine and operator. Does anybody know how to decipher the serial number, T0555GA741952? It's supposed to be an '88.

  6. #6Lindsey972013-06-02 23:41

    we purchased a 1988 455g direct drive trans in 2011 for 14,500.00 it has a regular bucket, and no backhoe. approx. 5400 hours. in excellent condition and works great. i really like the tractor, it works for clearing timber as well as my 1992 d4c, and it will take down bigger trees than the d4. i can load trucks with it when i have to. i do not regret buying it, even with all of the other equipment i already own. i think most folks do not see the value in a track loader, and that is why you can purchase them cheaper than a similar model of dozer.

  7. #7mfowler2013-06-03 21:24

    Okay, saw the machine this afternoon. Looks pretty straight, with two issues, don't know if they are related. First, leaking hydraulic fluid from somewhere in the right side valve compartment. Could not tell where specifically but looks like it would be a minor nightmare trying to work in those tight quarters. Second, and possibly more major is the hoe will not hold the machine up. Push down with the hoe and it tries to come off the ground but bleeds right back as soon as you release the control. Same with the outriggers. However, use the extendahoe and it comes right up no problem and does not bleed down. Front bucket seems good also. Possibly a worn control valve? I don't know how much of an issue it would be operationally, but wondering what could be the cause and how much $$ to fix. Anybody have any thoughts? Auction is tomorrow so I am trying to set my max bid price. Thanks again for the replies.

  8. #8tuney4432013-06-03 21:59

    mfowler--sorry for delay,I guess my smart phone wasn't so smart because I know I answered you the other day.Anyway,I have a 410G--tlb,a 450D dozer,and a 440 track loader.Your serial# makes it a 1987,not a '88,no big deal really.The leaker could be a few things,I wouldn't make it a deal breaker as is probably the same with the boom valve needs some attention.Sometimes they get sticky from non use so a little rap rap can free it up so oil is going where it's supposed to.If that doesn't do it,take the valve apart and check out the glitch.

  9. #9mfowler2013-06-03 22:06

    Thanks tuney443, sounds like you have a nice little fleet going. Yeah, I think it's a pretty god machine for my needs, UC looks good, engine sounds and runs good, fairly modern by my standards. But I've made some bad purchase decisions in the past and don't want to make anymore if possible. Of course it's always a crapshoot anyway, especially at auction. Hopefully no one else wants it tomorrow and I can get it for a good price. Thanks again.

  10. #10tuney4432013-06-03 22:20

    That 450D was bought at a Hyco JD dealership at auction in Houston,Texas back in 1985,the very best deal I ever struck.Had app. 200 hours on her and saved over $12K over buying new.Only cost me $500 to get her back to NY.That machine still runs like the day I bought her 28 years ago!!!!Other than having pins and bushings turned just once,the rest has only been routine PM.Good luck tomorrow.

  11. #11buckfever2013-06-04 20:10

    Don't worry about those leaking valves to much. Mine did that and so did about 6 other G series loaders and dozers in my area. A few years ago I knew a guy that spend three grand rebuilding that whole valve block and it stopped leaking for about 500 hours. He said "screw it I'll just keep an eye on the hydrolic fluid".

  12. #12mfowler2013-06-04 21:38

    tuney443, sounds like you know how to get the good deals. Thanks for the advice buck fever, I kind of agree, as long as its operational and not doing any damage, don't mess with it. Unfortunately, somebody thought they needed it more than I did. Sold for 21k, a good 5 more than I wanted to pay. Seems like a premium price to me, considering the vintage. Oh well, thanks again everyone who replied.

  13. #13Lindsey972013-06-04 23:31

    buckfever, or anyone else in this thread, would you mind schooling me on the correct procedure to operate a 455g direct drive tractor just like your 555? i have read my deere operator's manual, and it wasnt too specific about the use of the clutch. i treat the tractor as if it is a standard shift pickup without syncronizers. i come to a stop before changing directions, and i dont downshift under a load. if i pull the trans into gear at idle from a stop without the clutch, it hesitates for a second, and then grabs roughly, whams the tractor and takes off. i feel that the clutch should be used at all times on this machine. please tell me your experiences with this paticular transmission setup.

  14. #14buckfever2013-06-06 20:28

    I never used the clutch except in rare cases where you have to move really slow. Your should be a power-shift and it means just that. Don't have to decel or come to a stop when shifting under load. Just give it full throttle and have at it. I used the decelerater to slow down when working in close quarters. Once you get used to how this machine first gear will be at quarter throttle will be slow enough to get close to most things.

  15. #15telwood2013-06-08 21:58

    I don't have much experience yet with my 1996 455G but haven't used the clutch at all. The guy I bought it from who had it since new said the decelerator is very helpful when running it hard but I am still learning and am taking it easy until I get the feel of it. I paid $14K w/ a 30-40% undercarriage but everything else in perfect condition with complete 1000 hr service and not a drip. I am changing the undercarriage so in the end I'll be into it at $20K. I think the 555G is very close to the 455G but with a larger engine, with the backhoe and 4-in-1 it seems $21K isn't out of line if the undercarriage is in decent shape.