Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 570A

J Schlecht ยท 2024-06-29 23:23

Hi I'm new on this site. I have a JD 570A. I bought it in 1987 best tractor I've ever owned. It ate the lower half of the transmission dipstick the other day and i find I can't buy a new one. Can someone mmeasure their dipstick and give me the measurements off of it. I still have all of the upper parts just not the the bottom of it. iwill be able to weld a short piece of flat steel to it with that information and give it the proper markings. Thank you in advance

Replies7
  1. #1JaredV2024-06-30 02:56

    If no one can help you out, you can always drain the oil, refill with the quantity the book says and mark the stick. For the low mark, stop a gallon or whatever short, mark it and then put in the rest for the full mark.

  2. #2Welder Dave2024-06-30 02:59

    I would think the dipstick is used in other equipment. See if your JD dealer is associated with the used parts network and can find you a used dipstick. How did it get eaten?

  3. #3J Schlecht2024-06-30 12:51

    Thank you JaredV. That would work, and if all else fails I will bring it back to the shop and do that. it's on a job and am reluctant to pull it out. Welder Dave. We changed the wiring to the starter solenoid. When we did we put the wire in a piece of 3/8 plastic tube to protect it from damage. I think one of the clips holding the pipe came off letting the pipe drop, my guess is that made the dipstick go in at an angle, when it was started something grabbed the dipstick and ate the bottom end off. So far i haven't seen any evidence of a problem arising.

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-06-30 16:22

    Maybe when you drain the oil you'll find something. Doesn't the dipstick kind of p in place when it's all the way in? Not sure what would grab the dipstick?

  5. #5J Schlecht2024-06-30 21:55

    The dipstick has a twist top to expand the top of it and lock it in place. The twist top is a plastic knob. it was lying on top of the transmission case the next morning. it looked like it was pulled off the stick, it had a piece of it missing where the dipstick and the plastic knob joined. we used a pair of needle nose pliers to reach in and get the rest of the dipstick assembly out of the dip stick tube. I don't know if it laid against a gear or shaft and wore off or it was sheared of by something. I should drain it and look for shavings or pieces.

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-07-01 00:01

    Seems odd you can't get a new one.

  7. #7Clyde Hathaway2024-07-13 11:39

    Attached are two pictures with the measurements from my 570 SN 003112-T transmission/hydraulic dipstick. Please let me know if more is needed.