Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 640 winch

okumaguru ยท 2009-02-06 09:40

My brother has a straight 640 John Deere log skidder. I posted when the forestry thread was new about hydraulic problems. He has decided according to JD he believes his back brakes are shot and coming apart therefore "poluting" the hydraulic fluid. His question now is he was told the winch was a direct gear drive which he expected meant it couldn't slip. He says he can winch 7 small trees but if one would happen to catch a stump it just sits there and slips. Can anyone give us a clue as to how they actually work. He was wondering if there might be a screen plugged allowing this or if this is normal. He doesn't like typing(one finger method) so he calls me and I post his questions for him. Thanks Tim and Jeff

Replies3
  1. #1adr022009-02-06 14:45

    From what I remember using a winch, they will stall out if your reeling in at idle or low rpm, but at full throttle it break the mainline real easy. I would think there would be a clutch pack in there in order for it to act like that, just like the diffs, and transmission work. So I guess it depends at what rpm it is slipping at.

  2. #2OCR2009-02-06 16:16

    What's your phone number?... OCR...

  3. #3okumaguru2009-02-06 20:21

    uh, let me see, uh 1-900- LOL