Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 648D hydraulic pump leak

Phillips2016 · 2025-02-10 20:38

I have a 92 648d Skidder that has been leaking hydraulic oil from the shaft seal for about 12 years. It finally broke yesterday so I broke down and pulled the pump and put a new seal in, it lasted about 30 seconds before it started leaking again. The hydraulics are strong and the leaking slows when the machine warms up. I don’t think the pump is gone but something is causing it to pressure up. Thoughts as to where to start or ideas on how to fix. Thanks in advance.

Replies1
  1. #1mg23612025-02-11 05:45

    Welcome to HEF Phillip ! Let's start with the complete machine serial number. Somewhere in the case drain line there is a check valve. Is it stuck, creating too much case pressure? Case drain linme clogged? Internally collapsed? Shaft bearing on the pump OK?