Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 650 Pedal to Lever Steer Conversion?

Loggermc ยท 2012-10-19 01:10

I have a 1997 JD 650G that I have owned for several years. It's a good machine and great for what I use it for. However, I looking into converting from pedal steer to lever steer. I know that at one time John Deere had a kit to make the conversion, but apparently they no longer carry that kit. Has anyone done such a conversion, and if so, how much is involved in making such a conversion? The reason for wanting to make the change - my knees aren't up to using the pedals all day.

Replies4
  1. #1Dirtydobber2012-11-05 08:17

    I am interested in this as well... Looking at purchasing a old 650g that had the logging package. As in lever steer. Would like to convert to petal if I buy it.

  2. #2Deereman2012-11-12 21:46

    I have seen the lever to pedal convert. Thoe its been a while. Hey dd if you buy that 650 just get up with loggermc and swap out linkages??

  3. #3bigjohn43002014-11-13 20:37

    When I bought my 450g a few years back, while talking with my salesman prepurchase, I mentioned I would like it better foot steer, the next morning, he told me he would make it foot steer for $100 if I bought it, which I did. Found out later there was a sale being negotiated on a 650g that wanted lever instead of foot, at the same time, so they swapped them and made us both happy, we each paid $100 towards the labor, which I was told was 3 shop hours total

  4. #4stumpjumper832014-11-14 21:49

    bigjohn, you did well, for some reason 1500 sticks in my mind for the conversion kit cost, and its NLA... To the op, it might be cheapest to work a deal with another 450/550/650 owner for your parts than trying to buy a kit.