Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 650G with problem

Tnvolnfl ยท 2009-11-20 19:17

I was using the dozer today and without warning I lost sterring control. It will go forward and reverse but when I step on the left brake there is a shuttering sound and it continues forward. When i hit the right brake, pedal goes to floor and it continues straight. Any ideas? thanks

Replies8
  1. #1powerjoke2009-11-20 22:05

    if it was a cat i woudl say check pilot presure

  2. #2Tnvolnfl2009-11-21 19:23

    Could this be a steering clutch problem, do they both usually go out at same time and is that an expensive repair?

  3. #3Tnvolnfl2009-11-23 17:49

    Found out it looks like the steering clutch drum splines are stripped out. Any one know how this could have happened? I am learning to run this thing on my own and want to make sure it's not something I did. Has a torqe converter with a deceleration pedal but I rarely use it. Should I be? I am clearing land and shift from forward to neutral to reverse often? Could this have cause it? Thanks for any tips

  4. #4Deereman2009-11-29 12:29

    If one goes its not typical for the other one to go. Its just more less when either side fails. Its a fairly common fix on these machines from 5 to 8,000 hours if not longer.. I have seen a many in the shop to get fixed and only takes a good mach about 3 days to fix. I wouldn't say its something you have done. Most ppl do decel in direction change but I never did. I've put a many of hours on a 650G TC. And prefer it over the new ones. I loved the one I ran. Winch, forestry package,LGP. Slick dozer. Its not as fast as a newer one or nice but IMO it was stronger and felt like a machine.

  5. #5Tnvolnfl2009-11-29 19:56

    Thanks for the info, It's at the shop now. What a pain trying to load it without steering. That was interesting!

  6. #6King of Obsolete2009-11-29 21:55

    is yours a pedal steer??? thansk KoO Published Author

  7. #7Tnvolnfl2009-11-30 18:25

    Yes it is pedal steering

  8. #8King of Obsolete2009-11-30 18:56

    buddy barry has one which is known as one of the Lemon Sisters. have you tried adjusting the pedal???? also any different when hot or cold??? also is there sounds made when you try to steer it???? thansk KoO Published Author